Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] c95 to existing ST1 daisy chain
08-29-18, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-18 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] c95 to existing ST1 daisy chain
I have a loop of existing ST1 chain entering and exiting my pedestal connecting an ST80 Masterview and ST80 AP keypad... I thought that connecting a c95 was going be a simple plug and play with a conversion cable and something like as ST1 junction plock to spur off for the MFD... (previous MFD not network connected?)

Apparently that's not the case??? I need to depower the ST1 chain, and power a converter E22158??? Do I need to restore the chain at the pedestal somehow?

I don't mind another method be it 0183/2000/etc... I just need the MFD to display tridata, and control an AP waypoint...

Thank You!
HS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-18, 01:42 PM
RE: [CA11] c95 to existing ST1 daisy chain
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum HS,

For most Raymarine devices having a SeaTalk communications interface, such devices would typically be interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) to a MFD running LightHouse II software. The same is not so for ST80 devices. In order to provide an accurate response regarding how your equipment may be interfaced, please respond with a complete list (make and model of each device) of the marine electronics devices within the presently installed system.
09-23-18, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-18 09:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi chuck,

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry for the delay!!!

Attached is a diagram of "what I think" is correct, to the best of my cable tracing abilities...

Basically I'm looking for the simplest way to connect a new refurb c95 to the existing ST1 network... An ST1 loop in the navpod is right there (new cable routing A in blue)

Also, I can run 0183 cable back to the Type 300 (new routing B)

Additionally I'm planning on throwing in a new VHF with 2k and 0183 capabilities to display AIS data on the c95

Components in the system are:
Autohelm Type 300 course comp
Ray E12102 Smart heading sensor w/ext flux
ST80 Masterviews
ST80 AP keypads

If I tie the c95 and VHF/AIS via 0183 back to the 300, will the c95 display the ST1`data and control? i.e. convert ST1 speed/depth/wind/AP to 0183?

I'm sorry for what must seem like a simple question... I'm a little overwhelmed!

Thanks again!

HS
09-24-18, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-18 12:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
HS,

For product designs which succeeded those which are presently installed onboard your boat, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would have been utilized to bridge data between the SeaTalk bus used by the currently installed equipment and the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 network supported by the c95 MFD. However, neither ST80 products nor Type 100/300 autopilot course computers are supported for use with a ST-STng Converter Kit. In this case, it would be recommended that the MFD (NMEA 0183 Port 1) be interfaced to the autopilot course computer via bidirectional NMEA 0183 communications. The Type 100/300 autopilot course computer is designed to bridge instrument data (wind, speed, depth) from SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 ... see the Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer NMEA 0183 Interface section of Chapter 2.12 Interfacing to other manufacturer's equipment (NMEA) of the Autohelm Type 100/300 Autopilot Installation and Setup. However, care should be undertaken, as the Type 100/300 Autopilot Course Computer may loop data which it receives via its NMEA 0183 communications port. Should this occur, then it would be necessary to install a programmable NMEA 0183 multiplexer (ex. Actisense NDC-4-USB) between the autopilot's NMEA 0183 output port and the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port to block all NMEA 0183 sentences except for those containing heading, wind, speed through water, water temperature, and depth data. The most common symptom of data looping occurs in conjunction with navigational data. When the MFD executes a Go-To or Follow Route command, NMEA 0183 sentences containing the associated navigational data are transmitted to the autopilot and may then be transmitted by the autopilot course computer back to the MFD. This condition will prevent the MFD from cancelling navigation (Stop Go To or Stop Follow). This condition may be avoided completely by interfacing the MFD to the autopilot in a manner which would support one way communications ... MFD to autopilot.

The MFD's second NMEA 0183 input port (Port 2) may be configured for 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications to support data reception from an AIS receiver/transceiver. Alternatively, should the AIS receiver/transceiver support SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications protocol, then the MFD and AIS receiver/transceiver may each be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
09-24-18, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-18 12:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Wow... A million thanks for the info!!!

I could care less about wind data on the MFD, although speed and depth would be nice...

So two 0183 connections will accomplish my goal of MFD interface:
A) some AP control/display, B) speed, depth info

1- MFD Port 1, 0183 I/O to course computer

2- MFD port 2, 0183 I/O to AIS data from VHF (although I'm thinking any of any TX to VHF???) Can easily see other option of powered ng/n2k network here too

Thank you Skipper!

HS
09-24-18, 12:31 PM
HS,

Q1. MFD Port 1, 0183 I/O to course computer
A1. Please refer to the updated information within my initial post.

Q2A. MFD port 2, 0183 I/O to AIS data from VHF (although I'm thinking any of any TX to VHF???)
A2A. The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 is a receive-only port.

Q2B. Can easily see other option of powered ng/n2k network here too
Q2B. Should bidirectional communications be required with the VHF radio/AIS receiver, then it would be advised these products be interfaced as spurs to the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.