Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] Best MFD for Offshore Fishing
08-31-18, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-18 06:50 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Best MFD for Offshore Fishing
I need help selecting a good fishfinder/chartplotter for offshore fishing.

My boat is a trailered 25 ft non-cored all fiberglass hull. I currently have a transom mounted transducer but no thru-hulls.

I fish for pelagics (tuna and billfish) on the surface and down to 600 ft. I fish bottomfish down to 400 ft. Below 1000' would be nice to see structure also.

I would like a good high speed setup so when trolling or cruising I can reliably mark the larger pelagic schools. Forward looking sonar would be nice as well as side-scan but those are not really a requirement.

I am looking at the Axiom Pro 12 RVX with the RV-100 transducer. Is there a secondary tranducer I should install to complement the RV-100?

Thank You

El Toro
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-18, 07:20 AM
RE: [DG] Best MFD for Offshore Fishing
Hi El Toro

Thank you for your enquiry,

Given the boat is trailered, any though hull transducer needs to be carefully sited to both ensure smooth waterflow over the face of the transducer at the appropriate speeds and that the transducer face will not be damaged by the process of launching/ recovery or when trailering.

Having noted this, the through hull transducers generally give better performance because water flow over them is usually more stable and have less air inclusions.

The RV transducers are good down to 300ft and so for deeper performance a secondary transducer can be fitted to the PRO RVX, something like the E66077, 600W low profile good down to circa 1200ft. Or use the 1kw A102137 transducer good down to circa 5000ft.

regards

Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply