Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] RF Ground connection
09-02-18, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-18 09:57 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] RF Ground connection
Hi,
I have installed a EV-100 wheel system. In the manual i read that i should also install a RF ground connection.
- is this really necessary? (what could happen?)
- can i just run a cable from the negative battery point to this RF ground connection on the acu-100?
- can i use a normal cable for this or do i need some special (shielded?) cable?

The current negative cable is already coming from the same point.
- can i make a shortcut cable connection on the ACU-100 from the minus to the RF Ground connection?

Gr.
Bram Havers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-18, 10:06 AM
RE: [DG] RF Ground connection
Hi Graham,

The RF ground is supplied as a precaution against RFi, please review this FAQ here .

In general - do not just simply connect RF ground to the battery -ve as this will not provide the full protection in cases where RFi is experienced. For your interest an approved RF ground is a specific panel underneath the boat, such as a dynaplate, which is ONLY connected to the RF grounds of equipment inside the boat.

Regards
Derek
09-09-18, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-18 08:07 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Derek, thank you.

As i am not experiencing RFi problems at the moment installing a specific panel underneath the boat is not my preferred option.

Although not the recommended solution (and not providing full protection), would connecting the RF ground to the battery min with a separate shielded cable bring any benefit? Or is that useless or even harmful?

Regards,
Bram.
09-10-18, 08:08 AM
H ibhavers

Since you are not experiencing RFi issues, then leave the ground connection disconnected.

Regards
Derek
09-17-18, 03:27 PM
ok thx.
09-18-18, 03:18 AM
Hi bHavers