Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] CA11] Depth sensor for e7D
08-30-18, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 10:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
CA11] Depth sensor for e7D
Current system is e7D, with ST60 wind, speed, and depth (P19 transducer) connected via E22158 ST1-STng adapter. I'd like to add fishfinder display to the e7D. I understand that I would need a new depth transducer (likely P319) connected directly to the e7D to do this. If I remove the P19 will the ST60 depth display still show depth (i. e., will it pick up the value off the STng network)?

Rob Franks
Catalina 310 #31
Santa Cruz, CA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-18, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 11:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: CA11] Depth sensor for e7D
Rob,

Adding fishfinder features to the e7D is as simple as interfacing its Transducer socket to one of the fishfinder transducers found here. Should no instrument depth transducer be interfaced to the ST60 Depth instrument, then it may be configured to function as a repeater of depth data (see owner's manual).
08-31-18, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 11:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, that's too easy! Will the P319 provide a pseudo color graphical depth display on the e7D? It's not clear from the manual and web site if it will, or if I need a more sophisticated transducer/system.

I know Raymarine doesn't recommend cutting and splicing the depth transducer cable, but I don't see any other way of getting it up to the e7D in my Navpod. I guess I could buy an iTC-5 and connect the depth to that, or get a smart depth transducer?

Rob Franks
Catalina 310 #31
Santa Cruz, CA
08-31-18, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-18 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rob,

Q1. Will the P319 provide a pseudo color graphical depth display on the e7D?
A1. Yes, and the A80171 version of the P319 will support the MFD's 50kHz/200kHz conical fishfinder features.

Q2. I know Raymarine doesn't recommend cutting and splicing the depth transducer cable, but I don't see any other way of getting it up to the e7D in my Navpod. I guess I could buy an iTC-5 and connect the depth to that, or get a smart depth transducer?
A2. Indeed, Raymarine does not recommend splicing fishfinder transducers. Additionally, an iTC-5 or Smart depth transducer would not support the MFD's fishfinder features. For sailing applications, it would typically be recommended that a CPT-S Transducer be installed along with a CP100 DownVision Sounder Module. The CP100 would then be interfaced to the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. This combination would provide similar Fishfinder imaging and lower power consumption. RayNet cables may also be spliced or better yet cut, then fitted with shielded RJ45 plugs, and then re-joined using a R32142 RJ45 (F) to RJ45 (F) Waterproof Cable Joiner.
09-05-18, 02:27 PM
Sorry for my confusion. I understand that an instrument transducer (whether connected to my ST60 or an iTC5) will only provide numerical depth. Would a P79 (A80170) or P319 (A80171) connected directly to the e7D provide a fishfinder display? If so, what would be the advantage of the CPT-S/CP100 DownVision system?

Part of my problem is figuring out what the different terms mean: Clear Pulse, Downvision, Digital, CHIRP, CHIRP Downvision, Realvision 3D, etc., and what the e7D is capable of handling.

Rob Franks
Catalina 310 #31
Santa Cruz, CA
09-10-18, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-18 10:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rob,

Q1. Would a P79 (A80170) or P319 (A80171) connected directly to the e7D provide a fishfinder display?
A1. Yes. Doing so would provide traditional 50kHz / 200kHz (ClearPulse) fishfinder imaging.

Q2. If so, what would be the advantage of the CPT-S/CP100 DownVision system?
A2. The imaging provided by the combination of a CPT-S/CP100 DownVision system would be very similar to that provided by the ClearPulse fishfinder imaging, but with slightly greater detail. The advantages of the CPT-S/CP100 DownVision system would include
- lower power consumption, and
- elimination of a transducer cable splice

[Image: screencaptures.jpg]

With regard to splicing the Ethernet Cable (an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable) which will be used to interface the e7D to the CP100, it would typically be recommended that the cable be cut in a manner which would prevent the end of the cable lacking the plug to be chased down the binnacle tube where it may be led to the location of the CP100 or system's HS5 RayNet Network Switch (should one be installed onboard). At that location, shielded RJ45 plugs may then be added to the cut ends of the cable, and they may then re-joined using a R32142 RJ45 (F) to RJ45 (F) Waterproof Cable Joiner.

Q3. Part of my problem is figuring out what the different terms mean: Clear Pulse, Downvision, Digital, CHIRP, CHIRP Downvision, Realvision 3D, etc., and what the e7D is capable of handling.
A3. These terms refer to different types of fishfinder sonar imaging. As indicated above 600W ClearPulse and high CHIRP sonar imaging are very similar in appearance and depth performance. The e7D has internal 600W ClearPulse sonar circuitry which comes into play when interfaced to a compatible 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducer. The a/c/e-Series MFDs may be accessorized to support 1kW ClearPulse sonar (via CP370 w/compatible 1kW 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducer), 1kW CHIRP Sonar (via CP470/570 w/compatible CHIRP transducer).

The a/c/e-Series MFDs may also be accessorized to support DownVision & high CHIRP sonar imaging (via CP100 w/DownVision transducer instead of a CPT-S transducer). CHIRP and ClearPulse sonar are the sonar imaging choice for those seeking to find fish. DownVision sonar imaging is designed to support location and identification of structure through its detailed imaging.

[Image: Submarine_Split.jpg]

Finally, the a/c/e-Series MFDs may also be accessorized to support SideVision sonar imaging (via CP200 w/CPT-200 transducer ... not applicable to sailing vessels as transom mounted transducer is only offered). SideVision sonar imaging is use to look out to the sides of the vessel to locate structure and fish.

[Image: Screen-Captures.jpg]

The a/c/e-Series MFDs cannot be accessorized to support RealVision3D sonar imaging.
09-10-18, 12:49 PM
Perfect! Thanks so much for all the info.

Rob Franks
Catalina 310 #31
Santa Cruz, CA
09-10-18, 03:44 PM
You're welcome.