Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] 1kw setup for bottom fishing
10-03-18, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-18 06:44 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG] 1kw setup for bottom fishing
Hi Daren,
We was doing night fishing last week, we drift along the rock cliff for squid. The entire night, the Axiom does not pick up satellite, we were blind without map and track. Lucky the old lowrance elite unit still on board and working fine. Otherwise we would have to went home.
Next morning the Axiom picked up satellite again. Is there anything I could do at that moment, because I plan to remobe that old lowrance unit?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-18, 06:56 AM
Hi Vanpham,

Thankyou for your feedback.

It is possible the AXIOM is mounted in such a location that the GPS reception is affected. How is it mounted? For example in a dash panel? inside a wheelhouse? If the dash panel is metal, or there is a wet card compass nearby it can affect GPS performance, moving the display 100mm can make all the difference to reception.

You can check the quality of the GPS reception in the GPS reception screen, press the screen top left over the LAT/LONG next to the globe and this will reveal an option SETTINGS, select SETTINGS and this will show a circular map of the location in the sky of the satellites and will indicate the quality of the fix as well as how many satellites are in view.

It sounds possible that the Built-in GPS inside the AXIOM is being shielded from some of the sky and so could not calculate a fix from the satellites it could see. So either there is something close to the AXIOM shielding it, which could be moved, or an external RS150 GPS antenna could be fitted.
10-04-18, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-18 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for got back to me Darre .
What I don't understand is that it's working fine when we came down the same location in the morning. We have drifted through the same area during the day, but it couldn't pick up satellite location when we got back at night. I will have to continue using the unit to find out. That was that 5th times I am in the water with the new unit
10-05-18, 11:02 AM
Hi Vanpham

It is quite likely that the orientation of GPS satellites will change during the day, the satellites are continuously moving and different ones are in use at different times of the day, also, their orbits are not perfectly synchronised and so their relative positions will also change during the day. With this in mind, it is quite possible the relative position of the satellites combined with the location of the unit on the boat and other equipment installed close to the AXIOM may have interfered with the Unit's internal GPS and prevented operation of the GPS.

regards
Derek