Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] Evolution Wheel pilot squeaking
09-04-18, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-18 10:15 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Evolution Wheel pilot squeaking
My several years old Evolution wheel drive squeaks continuously as it makes small adjustments under sail. It works fine, but gets very annoying after a while. I read that greasing the back side of the belt will fix the problem. Is that the Raymarine recommended solution and if so, what type of grease would you use? Thanks- Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-18, 10:21 AM
RE: [DG] Evolution Wheel pilot squeaking
Hi daknecht

The Wheel drive squeaking is likely due to the rollers within the drive, there is a ball bearing race and often salt can build up inside the bearing race and cause noise and vibration. Flushing the drive through with tepid fresh water will normally clear the salt out and the drive will run normally. If not separate the drive and clean the ball bearing race, reapply a VERY LIGHT smear of light marine grease to the bearings and reassemble, taking care not to contaminate the belt friction surfaces with grease.

Also check the rollers attached to the clutch eccentric and the belt tension eccentric. Make sure these are free to turn and are also lightly lubricated

regards
Derek
09-06-18, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-18 06:31 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am trying to find instructions or better yet a video for taking the wheel pilot apart to clean and lubricate. Does the piece with the motor just pull off from the part attached to the wheel? Is it the same as the ST4000+ videos I have found? Thanks- Dave
PS- As in the past, I do not get email notifications of posts even though I have that option checked.
09-07-18, 06:36 AM
Hi daknecht

Thank you for the feedback,

I suspect that you have seen videos of the older mk1 style drive that could be levered apart.

For the mk2 - or grey version, firstly unscrew the clamps holding the drive to the wheel, this will enable the front drive ring to be separated from the stationary backplate.

the roller bearing race will now be exposed as will the belt and the cover plate over the belt tension and clutch eccentrics.
Regards
Derek