Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading MFD to C95
04-25-16, 03:42 PM
Upgrading MFD to C95
I am upgrading from a E80 to a new C95 MFD. I currently have a RS125 GPS, TS60, and a Ray55 VHF connected to the E80.

What is the recommended networking required to replace the E80 with the C95 and continue to have connections the RS125, ST60 and Ray55?

Thanks,
Phil...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-16, 01:11 PM
RE: Upgrading MFD to C95
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Phil,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would be used to interface the ST60 Instruments and Raystar 125 GPS Sensor to the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. The Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs may be used to interface it to devices having a NMEA 0183 interface. It is correspondingly recommended that the Ray55 be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications protocol to this cable.
04-26-16, 02:19 PM
Thanks Chuck for the quick response.
A few questions:

Can the power from the C95 via the white Seatalkng connection, power the seatalk-seatlkng convertor avoiding a switched power cable directly to the convertor?

Everything I've read indicates that the RS125 GPS must be the only device connected to the center yellow seatalk socket in the convert.
In this design both the ST60 tridata and the RS125 GPS are connected to a seatalk junction box. The seatalk junction box is then connected to the center yellow seatalk socket in the converter. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Phil...
04-26-16, 08:43 PM
Phil,

Q1. Can the power from the C95 via the white Seatalkng connection, power the seatalk-seatlkng convertor avoiding a switched power cable directly to the convertor?
A1. Negative. Raymarine's MFDs are neither designed to supply power to nor to be powered from a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. Everything I've read indicates that the RS125 GPS must be the only device connected to the center yellow seatalk socket in the convert.
A2. This is incorrect. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. In this design both the ST60 tridata and the RS125 GPS are connected to a seatalk junction box. The seatalk junction box is then connected to the center yellow seatalk socket in the converter. Is this correct?
A3. This is indeed correct.
04-27-16, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-16 12:05 PM by saustop.)
Thanks so much Chuck! You are most helpful.

So I have two more questions:

1. If I power the Seatalk -Seatalkng convertor directly, does it always remain on? and if so, will the RS125 and ST60 Tridata remain on when not in use? Will this drain this battery?
Is there some way I can switch off the convertor and GPS? I think the ST60 Tridata has a on/off button.

2.i've read that I have to update the firmware on the convertor. To do this I have to connect the convertor to my MFD via seatalkng and boot the MFD off of the downloaded software. In this process, does the convertor require it's own power connection?

Also, will the MFD firmware be updated during the same process?

3. Does the ST60 Tridata device provide any information to the MFD via the Seatalk - Seatalkng convertor: such as depth, speed etc?
If not, does it make sense to connect the ST60 via seatalk or just leave as a standalone device?

Thanks,
Phil...
04-27-16, 02:55 PM
Phil,

Q1. If I power the Seatalk -Seatalkng convertor directly, does it always remain on? and if so, will the RS125 and ST60 Tridata remain on when not in use? Will this drain this battery?
Is there some way I can switch off the convertor and GPS? I think the ST60 Tridata has a on/off button.
A1. ST60 Instruments do not feature an ON/OFF button. The SeaTalkng backbone should be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit, permitting it to be shut down when not in use.

Q2a.i've read that I have to update the firmware on the convertor. To do this I have to connect the convertor to my MFD via seatalkng and boot the MFD off of the downloaded software. In this process, does the convertor require it's own power connection?
A2a. Yes.

Q2b. Also, will the MFD firmware be updated during the same process?
A2b. The v16.47 a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update includes software update file for many SeaTalkng peripherals, including the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. After updating the MFD's software to v16.47, command the MFD to Check the card for software updates (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES) to view the updates which are available for the other networked devices and to command the MFD to update the selected devices.

Q3. Does the ST60 Tridata device provide any information to the MFD via the Seatalk - Seatalkng convertor: such as depth, speed etc?
If not, does it make sense to connect the ST60 via seatalk or just leave as a standalone device?
A3. When interfaced to the system via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, the ST60 Tridata Instrument will supply the system with depth, speed through water, water temperature, Trip, and Log data.
04-27-16, 03:08 PM
Thanks again Chuck,

I'm ordering the parts and cables. I should complete the upgrade in about 3 weeks. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,
Phil...
05-02-16, 09:14 PM
Hi Chuck, I'm back.

Having a problem upgrading software on Seatalk convertor. I downloaded the upgrade software and upgraded the C95. After the C95 reboots I should see a message box indicating that the device is looking for other network devices. I do not receive this message. When I force the update via the "check for updates" the convertor isn't displayed nor available for an upgrade. It is as the C95 doesn't see the convertor.

I have the convertor connected to the c95 via the seatalkng port and I have power directly to the convertor. The convertor is flashing a green light. There are no other devices connected to the convertor other than the c95.

What I'm I missing?

Thanks,
Phil...
05-03-16, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-16 11:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Phil,

It is recommended that you ensure that the blue terminations plugs have been installed within the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's blue backbone sockets. If so, then it appears that the MFD is not detecting the boot files on the MFD's memory card. The most common mistake in updating product software is to copy the downloaded zip file directly to the microSD memory card. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Also, with the introduction of the v16.49 software update, new MFD autorun files were introduced, but may not have found there way into all software downloads.

It is recommended that you again download the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software update zip file to your computer, that its contents be extracted/copied and then pasted into the root level directory of a microSD memory card. After doing so, the autorun files attached to this response should be downloaded and pasted into the root level directory of the microSD memory card, replacing those which had previously been pasted into the root level directory of the microSD memory card.

Should following the recommendations provided within this response not result in successful updating of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software, then it is recommended that the Converter be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be updated.

Attached File(s)
.sh  rayatom.autorun.00.sh (Size: 215.97 KB / Downloads: 334)
.sig  rayatom.autorun.00.sh.sig (Size: 65 bytes / Downloads: 301)
05-03-16, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-16 11:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, I will try to load the software later today.