Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade autopilot
09-19-18, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-18 09:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrade autopilot
It´s finally time to upgrade my system from 2007 with a new autopilot.
In the present system is an S3 and an C80 the main objects and I'm now planning on changing to an ACU 200+EV1.
So my question is how to merge my old Seatalk items with the new ACU?
I've attached two wiring schemes, the present and the planned. Is this set up going to work?
Does the information from GPS, Wind and Speed get thru in this set up?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Wiring upgrade C80-S3 to C80-EV1.pdf (Size: 132.98 KB / Downloads: 289)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-18, 10:23 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrade autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ontario,

Your diagram is fairly close to correct. Unfortunately, as the software for C-Series MFDs was not designed to support SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications with an Evolution or SPX autopilot course computer, the C-Series Classic MFDs cannot be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone shown within your diagram. Instead, a separately powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed to not only interface the autopilot's components to one another, but will also include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. As the backbone will be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable, which in turn will be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit, the SeaTalkng Power Switch of the ACU-200 will be moved to the OFF position. The RS125, ST60 instruments, and C80 will be connected to an unpowered SeaTalk bus, which in turn will be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please note that the C80 MFD's SeaTalk port is powered. Accordingly, the SeaTalk cable which has been connected to the C80's SeaTalk socket will need to be cut and then spliced back together, leaving the red leads of the cable unspliced and insulated to prevent shorting. The SeaTalk bus will be powered from the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. When so interfaced, data (GPS, wind, depth, and navigational data) from the SeaTalk bus will be available to the Evolution autopilot.

Q1. Will this connection work?
A1. Your RS125 connections appear to be correct.

Q2. Is it possible to use this adapter?
A2. Negative. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be used.

Q3. Can i use the existing rudder indicator (from S3)?
A3. Yes.

Comment: Typically, a S3/S3G autopilot course computer would be replaced with an ACU-400 rather than the ACU-200 shown within our diagram. Type 2 and Type 3 Hydraulic linear drives require an ACU-400. However, if the hydraulic pump shown within your diagram is a Type 1 Hydraulic Pump and has been correctly sized for the capacity of your vessel's hydraulic ram, then an ACU-150 may be installed as an alternative to an ACU-200 if the vessel if it has a 12VDC power distribution system ... a potential cost savings. If the vessel has a 24VDC power distribution system and the hydraulic pump shown within your diagram is a Type 1 Hydraulic Pump and has been correctly sized for the capacity of your vessel's hydraulic ram, then an ACU-200 must be installed.
09-21-18, 02:14 AM
Thank you, Chuck.
I have made the modifications you suggest.
Please take a look and let me know if I am missing anything.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Wiring navigation C80-S3 ver 2.pdf (Size: 81.74 KB / Downloads: 328)
09-21-18, 08:02 AM
Ontario,

The updated diagram appears to now be correct.