Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [[CA11] Axiom MFD with Camino-108 AIS
02-03-19, 02:47 AM
RE: [[CA11] Axiom MFD with Camino-108 AIS
Hi Chuck,

I think I found the culprit. Problem happens when I disable the internal GPS.

Here is the thing, reception of the internal GPS in the marina has not been very good and it had been missing GPS fixes quite a lot (causing alarms). So I disabled it in order to use the GPS location coming from the AIS. Clearly the problem happens when I do this. If I enable the internal GPS, "flashing of AIS targets" stops, if I disable it again, it starts. In both cases I do have a GPS fix.

Why this happens is puzzling though. Any insight?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-19, 09:14 AM
RE: [[CA11] Axiom MFD with Camino-108 AIS
Tenedos,

Please refer to my second response ... particularly the items addressing quality of the GPS position FIX. Unlike the GPS receivers found within MFDs, Chartplotters, and GPS sensors, those featured within Class B AIS transceivers will typically not supply the full set of GPS data to a system. For this reason, we do not recommend that Raymarine's Class B AIS receivers be used as the primary GPS data source for its MFDs. It is however possible to utilize Raymarine's Class B AIS transceivers as a source GPS data for VHF radio, SSBs, and other devices not requiring all of the data items which would typically be supplied to the system by GPS receivers found within MFDs, Chartplotters, and GPS sensor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply