Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] A65 Compatability
11-20-18, 05:47 AM
RE: [CA11] A65 Compatability
Hi Tim,
The replacement displays can be either connected to SeaTalk, (the current i50 and i60 displays can operate on EITHER SeaTalk OR STng - but not both at the same time), so as you replace the ST60 displays, you will either need to extend the STng backbone to the new displays and then connect them into the backbone via spur cables, or use the new instruments in SeaTalk mode and connect them into the existing SeaTalk system.

There is an i60 Close Hauled wind display - this can also be connected to SeaTalk if preferred, although to be honest, it would be better to try to run as much of the system as possible on STng as it is a more efficient data system.

The i70 is a repeater and can be configured to show any of the data available on STng, you cannot connect transducer directly to it, you would need an itc-5 for the transducers, this then converts the analogue transducer data to STng and then the i70 is used to display this data as well as input the transducer calibration.

regards
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-19, 06:25 AM
Hi Derek... I've started to fit my new (old stock) A50 plotter.... However Im having issues getting it to connect to my seatalk1 network...
I checked my system before starting the install and everything was working as expected... i.e comms etc etc..
As per your earlier posts. I bought a seatalk to ng (seatalk1 to yellow seatalk ng cable).. (seatalk ng to seatalk ng cable white)
I was lucky enough to be given a E221581103655 seatalk to seatalk converter..

I connected the seatalk 1 yellow to the spare seatalk on the back of my wind instrument and powered up the A 50 for the first time... following your instructions i disabled the internal gps.. However... Ive got no communication between the plotter and the seatalk1 network... so no gps etc etc... the converter appears to be powering up, as I get a green flashing light... Am I missing something?? Do I need the blanking plugs for the seatalk converter???

Regards Tim
01-28-19, 08:14 AM
Hi Tim,

What else is in the STng network? are all the displays operating correctly and sharing data?
If you are just testing using the converter on it's own, make sure that you have the blue terminators in each end of the converter block - ie in the two blue sockets, the block is powered with 12v and the Seatalk1 network is also powered independantly and that the red wire in the SeaTalk1 cable going to the converter is cut and insulated, (this prevents the converter being powered BOTH by STng and SeaTalk1 which is incorrect)

Can you attach a diagram of exactly what you have connected and how?
Regards
Derek
01-28-19, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-19 04:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I think I'm missing the two blue blanking plugs... I've ordered a pair and will try this first

Regards

Tim
01-28-19, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-19 03:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

The blue plugs which you have referenced are not simply blanking plugs (i.e. those which would be used to seal an unused spur socket. They are Termination Plugs as Derek had specified. These plugs feature a 120 Ohm resistor to prevent reflections within the backbone. As Derek had suggested, the current power source for the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected to then permit the backbone to be powered by the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. A SeaTalkng Power Cable is included in the package of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to supply power to the backbone via one of its white spur sockets. The SeaTalkng Power Cable should be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit and should be protected with a 5A fuse. Finally, please verify that the MFD and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates to ensure proper communications. Please additionally note that the MFD's software should be brought up to the latest software version prior to attempting to update the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software.
01-29-19, 02:54 PM
Thanks Chuck... I'll try updating the MFD firmware and seatalk ng converter this weekend...
Do you have a link to how this is done?

Kind Regards

Tim
01-29-19, 03:59 PM
Tim,

A link to the instructions for updating the software within these products may be found within the software update web page for the respective product. I had previously provided a link to Raymarine's Software Updates web page.
02-02-19, 11:21 AM
Hi Chuck... I've downloaded the required files for the Seatalk converter... But I can't find any information on how to install/update the units..
I now have communication between the A50D and the seatalk system... (I hadn't added the network termination plugs)...
At the moment I have no Nema connections and everything is on the seatalk/seatalk ng bus... Is it worth connecting any of the following ?

A50D
230E VHF
RS125 (currently connected via a seatalk block)
SHS (Smart heading system)

Regards

Tim
02-02-19, 12:35 PM
Tim,

Each product's software update web page includes a link to instructions for updating the software within the product.