Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TG] [TG11] Upgrade to Lighthouse 3
06-04-19, 09:40 PM
RE: [TG11] Upgrade to Lighthouse 3
Hello kirbywatson,

When you download the current latest LH3 v3.9.46 software for eS, you'll get a Zip file containing three files:
  • "Add each ISO file onto a seperate uSD card - otherwise they will not install correctly.txt"
  • ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso
  • raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso

The text file is just a reminder of the order in which you need to do the updates. You place raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso on the card first, install this, then place ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso on the card and install second. There's no need to put the text file on the card at all. Don't put both .iso files on the card at the same time, and do the 'Upgrade' file before the 'Cartography' file.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-19, 01:27 PM
I am having an issue with update to Lighthouse 3 v3.9.46 on my eS78. Update of the raymarine_atom-3.9.46.upgrade.iso went fine. However, update of ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso keeps failing. I have tried several downloads. I have reformatted the SD card. Still keep getting the updgrade has failed message.

Also, trying to update autopilot with ray_Pilots-Web.upgrade.iso. and ray_Instruments_bootcode-web.upgrade.iso. However, when I scan the SD card, my eS78 says there are no software updates found. I am trying to update the EV1 from 2.18 to 3.01 and the p70s from 3.07 to 3.08.

Kyle T. Kievit
Legal Holiday II
Catalina 320 #525
06-27-19, 12:53 AM
Hello Ktklaw,

Sorry for the delay replying.

On the ray_mfd_AtomCartographyRX5v1_22.upgrade.iso: don't worry about this, it's a known issue that under some circumstances you can get a false fail message on installing this specific upgrade package. It's being investigated by our engineering team, but if you install it again you will see that the upgrade process gets to 100% and then restarts normally. You can ignore that error without risk.

On the pilot upgrades: there is no benefit to updating from v2.18 to v3.01 in an EV sensor core. v3.01 only existed to support running hardware changes in the EV and does not have any effect at all on operation. To upgrade, you should use v3.02, although the actual changes in this version are minimal: see here for details of what's changed.
It is possible that the EV1 is not upgrading from v2.18 to v3.01 because that specific version is not relevant (not an upgrade) for your revision of EV1: the upgrade process does do that sort of checking.

That wouldn't be the reason why the p70S is upgrading though - if you're seeing problems with both, this is usually a card or card-data problem. In order of increasing likelihood:
  1. corrupted download to your computer
  2. incomplete extraction from Zip file on your computer
  3. failing MicroSD card (bad sectors on the card: SD cards in made in very large numbers at very low cost and have a high failure rate)
  4. Incomplete write to the card (when your computer's download progress bar reaches 100% and completes, that doesn't mean that the download to the card has really completed, only that it's been loaded into the output buffers. Computers use 'cached writes' to SD cards in order to reduce wear on the flash media which has a finite number of read-write cycles.)
I'd try another card, with a fresh download, and make sure that you right-click and do Eject on your PC before you remove the card. Also make sure that the new card is formatted with FAT32 or NTFS rather than ExFAT filesystem. If you search online for 'Format' FAT32' you'll find lots of information on this. Make sure that you DO NOT format your Chart card or any card with data that you want to keep on it: formatting will erase everything.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-27-19, 08:30 AM
Hi Kirby,

Here is the page you start on to download the software, http://www.raymarine.com/software-update...gs-series/

Good luck on this. I really like the new software, but there are some pitfalls.

On your memory card, you can only have the Lighthouse 3 software file on the card. The download will give you charts and a text file too, DO NOT have those on the card when you go to do the upgrade.

Some "free advice" on this, at the risk of telling too much if you already know these things:

1. Read the differences in features between Lighthouse 2 and 3 very carefully. There are some big differences, like the older autopilots will not integrate with the new software at all. They still work via the network and waypoints, but no nice integration and I haven't figured out how to follow a route yet. Not a huge deal for me.

2. Read the FAQ and notices about other data integration, mostly with monitoring systems I think. I don't have those so it wasn't an issue.

3. Make sure your data (waypoints and routes) are backed up.

4. All this really says, read the notices and instructions VERY CAREFULLY.

5. Once you have done the upgrade, you have to do a Power On Reset on both units individually. I had reliability issues because I skipped this step.

6. To get good reliability with the new software running on the older hardware, I had to turn off all my tracks and deleted the old ones. I also have Sonar Logging off.

Again, good luck with the upgrade.

Best, Hube Hopkins