Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] How to connect es78 to DSM30, b744v, and more
10-05-18, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-18 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] How to connect es78 to DSM30, b744v, and more
My old C120 went belly up and I bought an es78. I have the following existing devices that were connected to the c120

DSM30 with a B744V transducer
RayMarine 2D 18” 2 kW Radome Scanner
External GPS (?)
Uniden 415 marine radio with NMEA 0183 input)

Is it possible for me to connect the transducer and the radar to the es78? If so, what is required (cable?). Would also be nice to hook up the radio; I dont think I need the external GPS — the internal es78 GPS seems to work just as well.

The es78 came with a CT100 transom mount transducer, but the B744V is already installed as a through-hull, and I am assuming it is the better of the two?

I have searched the boards and on found clear answers to any of these questions.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

Markus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-18, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-18 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] How to connect es78 to DSM30, b744v, and more
Hello Markus,

No, I'm sorry to say that you can't connect either your existing B744V or radar to the eS78. The radar because that's an analogue radar and our displays produced since late 2011 have only been capable of connecting to digital radars, the B744V because the eSx8 displays are only compatible with Raymarine DownVision-type transducers, unlike eSx7 displays which are compatible with Airmar transducers like the B744V. DownVision transducers (also available in through-hull versions) produce higher levels of detail and clarity than a B744V will ever be capable of, but do not output as much power and can't be used in quite the same depth of water that the B744V would work in.

You'll need to upgrade the radar to a digitally-connected model - the easiest would be our Quantum radome, which can communicate wirelessly with the display, which means that you can avoid running a new cable by just re-using the power cores within the existing cable, splice to the end of the Quantum's power cable.

Regarding the sounder, you have a few options:
  • Retain the DSM30 in the network, this is compatible with eS displays as long as the eS is running LH2, not LH3 software (LH3 does not support the old DSM sounders). You will need new network cabling for this as the old C120 used the obsolete HSB2 network and new displays use modern Raynet. The DSM30 was compatible with both networks.
  • Swap the eS78 for an eS77 + E66066 transducer adaptor cable to connect your 8-pin B744V to the eS77's 7-pin transducer connector
  • Swap the eS78 for an Axiom 7DV or Axiom 7RV and use an appropriate adaptor cable (A80485 for Axiom 7DV, A80489 adaptor or A80492 Y-cable for Axiom 7RV) to connect the B744V plus an optional RV transducer for Axiom RV, if you wish.
  • Swap the eS78 for an Axiom Pro 9RVX and A80496 adaptor cable.
Axiom and Axiom Pro replace the eS range: Axiom Pro is the direct equivalent of eS, but starts at 9".

Regarding the radio: yes, eS displays are compatible with NMEA0183, see the relevant section of the eS's installation manual. If you don't have a copy you can download one from http://www.raymarine.com.au/display/?id=10125.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-17-18, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-18 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Tom, for the detailed reply. Not what I wanted to hear, but what suspected.

I do have the CT100 transducer that came with the MFD. How does that compare (function and quality) to the B744V that I have?

Kind regards,
Markus
10-18-18, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-18 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Markus,

CPT100 uses our DownVision sounder technology, and will give you both the DownVision and Chirp Sonar capabilities that are shown on the CP100 sounder module page at http://www.raymarine.com.au/fishfinders/...ownvision/. The CP100 is a black-box that provides identical sonar capability to the eS78. You will see far better resolution and clarity in shallower water (I'd recommend up to 100m or so), whereas the B744V with a CP370 will give images like you see at http://www.raymarine.com.au/fishfinders/...tal-sonar/ and be usable in up to perhaps 300m or so.

One key difference to be aware of is that CPT100 is transom-mount, which is fine if you have outboard or sterndrive power but not for shaft drive. Normally you wouldn't have a B744V on a boat that could use a transom transducer. If you use a transom transducer on an inboard boat with shaft propulsion you will likely get crippling turbulence and aeration off the prop when underway.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
10-18-18, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-18 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Excellent information, thank you again.

So if I understand correctly (staying with the es78)

1. I can use the BV744V and DSM30 by getting as new cable to go between the DMS30 and the es78. If that is correct, do you know what cable I need? (I am running LH2 on ther es78).

2. To connect the Marine radio, I just need a new cable, which I suppose is found in the es78 manual through the link you provided?

2. Doesn’t the es78 would allow me to use 2 transducers? If so, I might install the CPT100 on the transome for at anchor fishing, and use the BV744V when under way. (You are correct, the boat is shaft dual props).

3. Purchase a digital radome to replace the current radar, use the existed power, connect to the es78 via wireless.

Thank you!

markus
10-23-18, 01:26 AM
Hello Markus,

Quote:1. I can use the BV744V and DSM30 by getting as new cable to go between the DMS30 and the es78. If that is correct, do you know what cable I need? (I am running LH2 on ther es78).
You can use A80276, 3m Raynet-STHS cable if that's long enough, or A80272 adaptor + whatever length Raynet cable if not. You can see the Raynet cable and adaptor options on the relevant tabs on http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=5537

Quote:2. To connect the Marine radio, I just need a new cable, which I suppose is found in the es78 manual through the link you provided?
Please read the relevant part of the manual. NMEA0183 is a bare-wire connection, the eS installation manual gives wiring colours. The connection is via the eS's power cable. If NMEA0183 isn't something you're familiar with or it's not clear from the two products' installation manuals then I'd recommend getting an experienced installer to do this.

Quote:2. Doesn’t the es78 would allow me to use 2 transducers? If so, I might install the CPT100 on the transome for at anchor fishing, and use the BV744V when under way. (You are correct, the boat is shaft dual props).
Lighthouse 2 versions 10 and later supported multiple active sounders in a network at once, so yes, you could connect the DSM/B744V and CPT100 when stopped. Just for anyone else reading this, you can't connect two depth transducers to an eS directly, but can do one directly and one via a networked sounder module.

Quote:3. Purchase a digital radome to replace the current radar, use the existed power, connect to the es78 via wireless.
A Quantum radome, as mentioned in my first email. The Digital radome range cannot communicate wirelessly: they are compatible with the eS, but you'd need to run a new cable, so Quantum is easier.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.