Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] e7d loss of depth
10-08-18, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-18 11:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] e7d loss of depth
I've got a recent issue with my e7d multifunction display / depth function. The unit is about two years old and with the exception of an intermittent failure to read the HOME touch button when trying to exit the chart-plotter function, things have been working well. Two weeks ago, my authorized Raymarine installer suggested that updating the software to the latest revision might resolve the issue, so he showed up and performed the update. At this point in time there was about a week to scheduled lift out for winter storage. There seemed to be multiple updates available, so he did them all. This led to a few auto-pilot issues, such as loss of the deviation table values (detecting magnetics), but we seem to have resolved them and everything seemed to be working well. By the way, the software update did not resolve the issue, but a touchscreen calibration appeared to resolve it. The boat is sitting in about 18 ft of water, the depth was reading OK, the maps appeared right. A few days later, we left port for winter storage at another boatyard. The depth reading got lost as we passed through the harbor mouth (about 11-14 ft) but recovered when we got to deeper water, say 20 ft or so. The depth appeared to be OK for the entire trip, but we lost it again when we tried to enter the channel to the boatyard, just when I needed it most. The symptoms are either no depth reading or an absolutely unrealistic value (like 610 ft), and there are big spikes in the fish-finder function, with a few blips that look like about the right value (10 ft). Not only that, the scroll rate seems to speed up and slow down. The unit has worked right all summer but now suddenly this has happened. The only thing that has changed is the software update and recommissioning the AP. My Raymarine installer has been notified and can start diagnosing the problem, but since the boat has now been lifted and is on the hard, there's only a few things he can do. Nothing can be tested until the boat is back in the water next spring. By that time, my warranty will have expired. He's not sure how a warranty claim will be handled in that case. I've got the problem now, it has been reported to the dealer, but it won't be resolved until next spring. Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?
I put three attachments in the post but they don't show in the preview ....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-18, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-18 09:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] e7d loss of depth
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Robert,

Q1. There seemed to be multiple updates available, so he did them all. This led to a few auto-pilot issues, such as loss of the deviation table values (detecting magnetics), but we seem to have resolved them and everything seemed to be working well.
A1. Too be clear, updating the MFD's software alone will have no effect upon an autopilot. Please note that the compressed folder containing the LigthHouse II software update file also contains the software update files to update other peripherals which are designed to be updated via a MFD running LightHouse II software. The operator is provided the update to update the software within all peripherals not currently having the latest software installed (default) or only the peripherals selected by the user. As indicated within the LightHouse II software update web page, EV-1 CCU's web page, and within the FAQ found here, after updating an Evolution autopilot's software, updating the Evolution Autopilot's software will necessitate that a Pilot Factory Reset be performed, followed by the Dockside Wizard . The Evolution software update and subsequent Pilot Factory Reset will cause deviation data stored within the autopilot to be deleted, necessitating that the autopilot once again create its deviation table and report the maximum detected deviation.

Q2. By the way, the software update did not resolve the issue, but a touchscreen calibration appeared to resolve it.
A2. As expected. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. The boat is sitting in about 18 ft of water, the depth was reading OK, the maps appeared right. A few days later, we left port for winter storage at another boatyard. The depth reading got lost as we passed through the harbor mouth (about 11-14 ft) but recovered when we got to deeper water, say 20 ft or so. The depth appeared to be OK for the entire trip, but we lost it again when we tried to enter the channel to the boatyard, just when I needed it most. The symptoms are either no depth reading or an absolutely unrealistic value (like 610 ft), and there are big spikes in the fish-finder function, with a few blips that look like about the right value (10 ft). Not only that, the scroll rate seems to speed up and slow down. The unit has worked right all summer but now suddenly this has happened.
A3. The following would be recommended given the reported symptoms following a software update:
- inspect the transducer for signs of fouling and remove an fouling found
- if the transducer is a transom mounted transducer, ensure that the transducer's kick-up bracket has not been triggered. The transducer should be locked into its down position.
- inspect the transducer for signs of damage ... replace or test with another transducer for isolate the sonar fault
- a Sounder Reset should be commanded from the MFD's Fishfinder menu.
- System Settings and Data Reset should be commanded from the MFD's Diagnostics menu. Any waypoint/route/track data of value should be backed up prior to performing this action to permit them to be imported back into the MFD's memory after having performed the reset.
- the Transducer selection menu option should be exercised within the Transducer Settings menu of the MFD's Fishfinder application. The model of transducer installed onboard may be verified per the FAQ found here.
- should the MFD be reporting the symptoms specified, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced before your warranty expires.
10-08-18, 03:19 PM
Thanks Chuck
1) The boat is on the hard and will not be re-launched until late May. The warranty was registered on Jun 8. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time.
2) The Raymarine installer is going to visit next week to take a look. I'm not sure how much he can do with the boat out of the water.
3) The MFD isn't reporting any symptoms. It just doesn't seem to work in shallow water any more. It used to, just fine.
4) I tried to attach a .jpg file showing the pulses, but it doesn't seem to have attached itself. It looks to me like a total loss of input signal most of the time. I'll retry. If not, can you PM me an email address so I can send it to you. I'd like you to take a peek at the pattern.
Based on your response, it might be best to pull the unit and send it in for bench test while the boat is in winter storage.
10-10-18, 09:09 AM
Robert,

Q. Based on your response, it might be best to pull the unit and send it in for bench test while the boat is in winter storage.
A. This is indeed my advise.