10-12-18, 10:10 AM
RE: [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
Thanks Chuck- so to confirm, we will need:

- Raymarine i60 wind
- Raymarine i50 tridata
- Raymarine i70S multi display
- ST to STng converter
- D244 SeaTalk Junction Block
- A06047 SeaTalkng Spur to SeaTalk Cable (just 1?)
- EV-400 Sail Raymarine Autopilot

Did I miss anything? I just want to make sure I order what is necessary for the installation as we discussed. Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-18, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-18 12:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
svbloom,

If interfacing the i50, i60, and i70S instruments via SeaTalk rather than SeaTalkng communications (again SeaTalkng is recommend), the i50, i60, and i70 instruments will be daisy chained to one another using the supplied 400mm SeaTalkng Cables packaged with these instruments. The remaining SeaTalkng spur socket of the i50 or i60 instrument will be connected to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an A06047 SeaTalkng Spur to SeaTalk Cable. The D244 SeaTalk Junction Block will then be interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via the A22164 SeaTalk To SeaTalkng Converter Cable which had been supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. SeaTalk to SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be interfaced to the backbone which interface the Evolution autopilot components to one another. An appropriate length of SeaTalkng backbone Cable will be used to join the backbones to one another. The part number and details (ex. cable lengths) for SeaTalkng networking components may be found on the SeaTalkng Networking web page.
10-15-18, 02:21 PM
Hi Chuck- Thanks so much for that. I agree that the best option here will be to switch everything and run 100% STng. We are in Mexico and there really are no electrical resources where we are at, so I will be doing all of this wiring myself. That said, I need to make sure of two things: 1) That I order all the parts/wires/replacement components that I'll need 2) That I understand what wires go where and how things are connected.

A couple of questions for you:
1) I read online that there is a iTC-5 transducer converter kit that may be needed for speed/depth/wind. Is this the case? Do I need just one kit, or one for each transducer? It is still a possibility that the transducers were affected also by the lightning. if this is the case, we would need to replace them. I assume we'd also need to run all new wiring then? (The wiring through the mast for the wind transducer is my biggest concern)

2. Is there a diagram available at all for how the wiring would run for this setup? (ie. what is connected to what, etc.) I assume upgrading everything to STng will mean no ST to STng converters or junction blocks needed, but possibly the iTC-5 converter mentioned above. Your comments would be appreciated!
10-15-18, 03:01 PM
svbloom,

General Comment: Regarding inquiries to specify the part number for every cable to be purchased, it would not be possible to do so as the cable routing lengths differ per every vessel's unique cable routing. However, we can provide information concerning the types of cable(s) required and provide links to the web pages were customer may view the available cable lengths.

Q1a) I read online that there is a iTC-5 transducer converter kit that may be needed for speed/depth/wind. Is this the case?
A1a) As you will be replacing ST60 Tridata and ST60 Wind instrument with i50 and i60 instruments respectively, an iTC-5 would not be required unless you are seeking to use the i70S to calibrate depth, wind, speed, and temperature sensors or should you not desire to run the cables for the associated transducers through the binnacle tubes into the instrument pods. The latter would also require that the i70S be installed to support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications rather than SeaTalk communications as you had suggested, but would significantly reduce the amount of cable chased through the binnacle tubing.

Q1b) Do I need just one kit, or one for each transducer?
A1b) If installing an iTC-5, then only one iTC-5 should be installed.

Q1c) It is still a possibility that the transducers were affected also by the lightning. if this is the case, we would need to replace them.
A1c) Lightning strikes may result in damage to transducers as well. The only way to determine whether the transducers have also been damaged would be to test them. While FAQs (see the Instruments category of this Forum) are available for testing wind STW, and water temperature sensors, specialized equipment is required to test depth transducers. It may be necessary to connect the currently installed transducer to a working depth instrument which in turn as been suspended in water which is at least 3' deep to determine the transducers operational state.

Q2d) I assume we'd also need to run all new wiring then? (The wiring through the mast for the wind transducer is my biggest concern).
A2d) Wiring may or may not be damaged by a lightning strike.

Q2a. Is there a diagram available at all for how the wiring would run for this setup? (ie. what is connected to what, etc.).
A2a. Networking information is provided within the Product Documentation for each Raymarine product. Unfortunately, we do not have the bandwidth to produce custom diagrams. However, we can provide comments on diagrams submitted by customers. Some larger Certified Raymarine Installers may be able to produce such diagrams for fee for customers who purchase equipment from them.

Q2b. I assume upgrading everything to STng will mean no ST to STng converters or junction blocks needed, but possibly the iTC-5 converter mentioned above.
A2c. Interfacing the new products via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 would indeed eliminate the need for a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block, and a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable. These items would be typically be replaced with a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and a length of backbone cable which would connect the binnacle mounted instrument pod to the binnacle mounted pod for the MFD. As indicated within the FAQ found here, a SeaTalkng T-Piece or SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector would typically be installed within the binnacle mounted pod for the MFD to connect the MFD and backbone cable from the instrument pod. Should the p70S autopilot control head be located in the binnacle mounted pod for the MFD or in its own pod which is attached to the binnacle, then an appropriate length of Spur Cable would typically be used to connect it to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector installed within the binnacle mounted pod for the MFD.
10-21-18, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-18 09:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. Sounds like we really need to replace everything as it could potentially be affected. I've mapped out a very rough diagram of how I think it might go. This is all new for me, so hopefully I haven't made a complete mess of it. Can you have a peek and let me know if you see anything wrong or missing? I'm also wondering if glassing over our through-hull transducers and replacing them with digital ones is an option here. Thanks in advance.
10-22-18, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-18 11:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
svbloom,

It appears that you may need some reference material to aid in understanding a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 network ... it may be found here. Your diagram appears to be incomplete and incorrect with regard to the following items:
- The diagram incorrectly shows Spur cables connected to the backbone socket of 5-Way Connectors. Backbone sockets are used to connect 5-Way Connectors, T-Pieces, iTC-5, and ST-STng Converters to one another. Such connections are accomplished via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cables.
- The backbone lacks termination. One SeaTalkng Termination Plug should be installed within each to the backbone's two end sockets.
- The iTC-5 should be installed as a backbone component rather than a spur to the backbone. Accordingly, it's backbone socket would be joined to the blue backbone socket of one of the 5-Way Connectors via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Cable.
- If the AIS receiver/transceiver features a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it should be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone rather than to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface.
- The diagram incorrectly shows four devices being daisy chained to one another within a single spur ... the limit is three and the maximum total length of spur cable should not exceed 6m. As a best installation practice, each device featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface would be installed as an individual spur to the backbone. See the previously referenced FAQ addressing devices installed within a binnacle.
- The i70S features a single SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket and as such cannot be installed in the middle of a daisy chain.
- The rudder transducer is incorrectly shown as being attached to the iTC-5. It must instead be interfaced directly to the ACU.

The only in-hull instrument transducers offered by Raymarine are both depth transducers. These transducers are the T70278 P79 Depth transducer featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (interfaces as a spur to the backbone) and the E26001-pz P79 Depth transducer featuring an analog interface (must be interfaced to the iTC-5.
11-06-18, 04:05 PM
Thanks for bearing with me Chuck. Major learning curve ;) I've revised the diagram and attached. A couple of questions for you: Should the Autohelm control display be daisy-chained with the Tridata and Wind? Do we need a Network Switch and if so, where does that go? Thanks!
11-07-18, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-18 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
General comment: No make/model has been specified for the AIS receiver / transceiver. Per my earlier response, it the AIS receiver/transceiver features a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it should be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone rather than to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface.

Q1. Should the Autohelm control display be daisy-chained with the Tridata and Wind?
A1. If the autopilot control head, Wind, and Tridata are closely located to backbone's spur socket (permitting the total length of Spur Cable within the daisy chain to be no greater than 6m), then autopilot control head, Wind, and Tridata may be daisy chained to one another. Although this is not considered to be a best installation practice, it is permissible to daisy chain these products.

Q2. Do we need a Network Switch and if so, where does that go?
A2. Given the equipment shown within your diagram, no HS5 RayNet Network Switch would be required. However, should you plan on installing a compatible Raymarine product having an Ethernet communications interface in the future, then a HS5 RayNet Network Switch would be required. It is considered to be best installation practice to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch within new systems to permit easy expansion of such systems.
11-07-18, 10:43 AM
Thanks Chuck for the reply. I apologize, I did see your note about the AIS but I forgot to respond to it. The iCom AIS Receiver that we have is not Seatalk at all, so it has to interface directly to the MFD.

Regarding the daisy-chain, if it isn't best practice then we won't do it. Can you tell me if the 'new' diagram I have done makes sense? Any suggestions?

Lastly, if you recommend a Network Switch for easy expansion of the system later, then we will go with that. Where within this diagram would it be installed?

Thanks in advance!
11-07-18, 11:32 AM
svbloom,

Q1. I did see your note about the AIS but I forgot to respond to it. The iCom AIS Receiver that we have is not Seatalk at all, so it has to interface directly to the MFD.
A1. Noted. Then it would be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface (Port 2 would typically be used for this purposes).

Q2. Can you tell me if the 'new' diagram I have done makes sense? Any suggestions?
A2. No diagram was included with your very last response. However, the one which was included with the yesterday evening's response looks good ... although it does not include recommendation of my last response.

Q3. Noted.
A3. The following FAQ may be helpful if the equipment is installed within binnacle pods: Best practices for chasing cables through binnacle / pedestal tubes.

Q4. If you recommend a Network Switch for easy expansion of the system later, then we will go with that. Where within this diagram would it be installed?
A4. The HS5 RayNet Network Switch will be installed below decks. The Digital Radar Cable will connected directly to one of the HS5 RayNet Network Switch's Ethernet (RayNet) sockets. The MFD will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.