Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
11-08-18, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 10:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] STLK Fail Lightning Issue
Thanks Chuck. We have decided to upgrade our AIS to the Raymarine AIS650 Class B Transceiver. I plan to interface it via spur cable as you suggested and put it into the previously empty socket in the second 5-way connector that will be housed in our nav station. (upgraded diagram attached).

Q1. Does this look correct for interfacing this new AIS?

Q2. Do we need to upgrade the antenna on our masthead since we are going from the iCom MXA-5000 AIS Receiver to the Raymarine AIS650 Tranceiver?

Q2a. If so, which antenna would you recommend we upgrade to?

Q3. You have recommended a network switch be added to our system as it is best practice if we want to expand later. What type of equipment would we be able to add with this network switch? We are trying to determine if it is worth installing as it is not cheap.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-18, 10:39 AM
svbloom,

Q1. Does this look correct for interfacing this new AIS?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Do we need to upgrade the antenna on our masthead since we are going from the iCom MXA-5000 AIS Receiver to the Raymarine AIS650 Tranceiver?
A2. The AIS650 must be used with the passive GPS antenna which is included within the AIS650's package.

Q2a. If so, which antenna would you recommend we upgrade to?
A2a. See the response to Q2.

Q3. You have recommended a network switch be added to our system as it is best practice if we want to expand later. What type of equipment would we be able to add with this network switch?
A3. The following Raymarine / FLIR products and accessories are designed to be interfaced to a system via their respective Ethernet communications interface:
- additional a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs
- SiriusXM Satellite Weather / Radio receiver
- Raymarine or FLIR branded thermal cameras
- Raymarine or compatible IP cameras
- Fusion 7xx-Series Stereo Head Units
- additional radome or open array radar pedestal
- compatible fishfinder sounder module(s)
11-09-18, 10:57 AM
Perfect, thanks Chuck.

Regarding the AIS- if we put an AIS700 in, it has a built-in splitter so I think this would work out-of-the-box for us?

Regarding the network switch, we do not plan to add any of those things in future, so I think we'll just skip the work and cost of adding the network switch- thanks for clarifying!
11-09-18, 11:12 AM
svbloom,

Q1. Regarding the AIS- if we put an AIS700 in, it has a built-in splitter so I think this would work out-of-the-box for us?
A1. AIS transceivers require two antennas, a passive GPS antenna (see my prior response) and a VHF antenna. The passive GPS antenna is used by the AIS650 / AIS700's internal GPS receiver to acquire a GPS position FIX and determine COG/SOG data in support RF AIS transmissions to other vessels, ground stations, etc. The VHF antenna (recommended gain is -3db or less) will in turn be responsible for broadcasting VHF transmissions as well as AIS transmissions.
11-09-18, 01:07 PM
Thanks. Does the passive GPS antenna that comes with the AIS 650/700 need installation? or is it built-in?

I do not believe our VHF antenna currently supports AIS transmissions (we only receive currently) It sounds like we would need to upgrade our antenna? If so, do you sell these, or would that be a third party? Recommendations?
11-09-18, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1. Does the passive GPS antenna that comes with the AIS 650/700 need installation? or is it built-in?
A1. The passive GPS antenna is an external part which looks similar to a GPS sensor. Like a GPS sensor, the passive GPS antenna should be installed in a location which will afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. These antennas are commonly mounted on the aft rail of a sailing vessel, masthead, or other suitable location.

Q2. I do not believe our VHF antenna currently supports AIS transmissions (we only receive currently) It sounds like we would need to upgrade our antenna? If so, do you sell these, or would that be a third party? Recommendations?
A2. The frequencies used be an AIS transceiver are within the band supported by VHF radio. Accordingly, any quality VHF antenna will suffice for this purpose. As indicated previously, when seeking out a VHF antenna, the AIS650/700 installation manuals call for using one with a gain of -3db or less. VHF antenna tuned specifically for Class B AIS frequencies are not recommended if the antenna splitter feature of the AIS700 or AIS650 & AIS100 Class B AIS Antenna Splitter will be installed. Some of the better known VHF antenna manufacturers include Shakespeare, Digital, etc. If you click here, you will also find a list of VHF antenna manufacturers which may be filtered by application domain to list those producing VHF antennas specifically suited for sailboats.
11-27-18, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all of your advice Chuck. Another question for you. We've been recommended by 2 Raymarine Dealers to buy 3 i70S units rather than 1 i70S, 1 i50 and 1 i60. We will be installing an ITC-5 Converter. Will be be able to display the exact same info on the 2nd and 3rd i70S, essentially rendering it an acceptable replacement fo the i50 and i60? We need to be able to display tridata (depth, speed, water tem) on one of the i70s units at the binnacle and the wind speed and direction (same dial-style display as i60 would be awesome) at the binnacle as well. Is that in fact, possible? The third i70s will be installed inside the boat at the navigation station.
11-27-18, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-18 03:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
svbloom,

Q1. Will be be able to display the exact same info on the 2nd and 3rd i70S, essentially rendering it an acceptable replacement fo the i50 and i60?
A1. Yes. Installation of the i50 and i60 instruments would certainly be more limiting with regard to what these instruments could display when compared to replacing them with i70S MFIDs and an iTC-5. The i70S MFIDs are capable of doing all that the i50 and i50 instruments are capable of and more. the i70S MFIDs in conjunction with an iTC-5 would also support multi-point STW calibration, permitting accuracy of the reported STW across greater range of speeds. In short my personal preference is for the system to feature a series of i70/i70S MFIDs rather than included i50 & i60 instruments.
11-27-18, 03:07 PM
Fantastic. Thank you Chuck!!
11-27-18, 03:23 PM
You're welcome.