Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 7 & X-5 Wheelpilot conflict
10-11-18, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-18 11:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 7 & X-5 Wheelpilot conflict
I have installed the Axiom 7 and have it working what appears to be correctly, with all of the current software updates to unit and Navionics chart card.
When I introduced my Raymarine X-5 wheel pilot to the new network I get a conflict difference in heading displayed on the X-5 control head. It is approximately 65 degrees out from the ship's compass. I get that it will be a little out, but not to this degree. Curiously, this position is echoed on the Axiom screen showing the ship icon skewed at approximately the same angle.
The collective system will not follow a route, but will follow to a single waypoint.
I went through the set up again and re-set the X-5, and again it has gone to the same angle offset.
My best guess is the Axiom 7 and the X-5 don't understand each other.
could be 0183 vs 2000 (though they are connected thru a SeaTalk port)

I am tempted to chuck the old Autopilot X-5 and replace it with a new one, but I am not going to do this without a clear understanding of what's going on. The two products are from the same manufacturer so it should work. Curious also that the old Standard Horizon chart plotter never had a problem with the X-5
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-18, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-18 12:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom 7 & X-5 Wheelpilot conflict
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Solace,

The MFD and SPX autopilot should be interfaced to one another via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. However, to do so, the X-Series autopilot course computer and ST70 autopilot control head (assumed) must be updated with the final software update for these devices. The currently installed software may be determined via the diagnostic features of the ST70 autopilot control head. Unfortunately, SPX autopilot course computers and ST70 autopilot control heads cannot be updated via an Axiom MFD. Should the system feature a ST6xxx autopilot control head, then the autopilot control head must be interfaced to the course computer's SeaTalk communications interface. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing alternative means of updating the software within these components.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply