Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] Linear drive type 1 power consumption
10-15-18, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-18 08:58 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Linear drive type 1 power consumption
Hi,

I am thinking of updating my drive with a linear drive type 1 but am uncertain if my current autopilot Simrad NAC-2 will be able to provide enough power for it? In the manual for the type 1 I can read it takes 18-36W on average. Is there more detailed power usage for available for the type 1? NAC-2 provides 8A continues/16A max, the boat is 32ft/4000 kg

Thanks,
Niclas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-18, 09:18 AM
RE: [DG] Linear drive type 1 power consumption
Hi Snajdarn

Thank you for your enquiry,

The T1 Linear drive will require 0.5A for the clutch operation and will draw a max of 15A when stalled, during 'normal' operation (typically, well balanced sail plan, a couple of degrees of weather helm), then 6-8 Amps continuous.

It would sound like the drive is going to be operating at the upper spec of the current Autopilot that you have and so we would be concerned about the longevity of the electronics to drive the steering of the vessel. Although it is fair to say that the better balanced the boat is - the lower the load on the helm and the lower the current draw.

Regards
Derek
10-16-18, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-18 12:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your reply Derek! If this is accurate you should consider updating your manual for the type 1 where it says 18-36W (1.4-2.9A) on average, that is 25-35% of your 6-8 A. Are you sure it takes as much as 6-8 amps for a well balanced boat, thats an incredibly high current consumption compared to e.g. Jefa LD 100 which takes 1-2A on average. I have a 32 ft sailboat, 4000kg

Best regards,
Niclas
10-18-18, 06:15 AM
Hi Snajdarn,

The current consumption is based on the duty cycle of the Raymarine Autopilot, we have no idea what the effective duty cycle is of the Simrad autopilot and so assume worst case. The details we publish are correct for a Raymarine system.

regards
Derek