Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Steering gear impact with rotary drive type 1
10-15-18, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-18 09:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Steering gear impact with rotary drive type 1
Hello,
After reading the installation manuals of a type 1 rotary power unit and consulting the detailed plan of my steering wheel, I see that I do not have the space to install the recommended drive sprockets either a 13-tooth drive gear and a 38-tooth steering gear. The maximum steering gear I can install is a 25 tooth sprocket.

What is the impact of this smaller pinion on the system? Should I plan another drive sprocket?

cordially
Germain Bélanger
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-18, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-18 12:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Steering gear impact with rotary drive type 1
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Germain,

Recommended sprocket size is based on number of steering shaft turns required to move the rudder hard over to hard over. Should a sprocket of the incorrect size be used, then too much power may be required from the ACU, the response of the autopilot may be either too fast or too slow, and/or it may also not be possible for the autopilot to properly compensate. Use of sprockets other than those which have been specified may also void the autopilot's warranty.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply