Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Ray240 VHF upgrade
10-19-18, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-18 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Ray240 VHF upgrade
My existing Ray240 VHF system is on its last legs. It has a second station in the cockpit and gets its GPS feed from an RS130 antenna. I have an AIS splitter and a AIS650 transceiver. I have an HS5 Seatalk HS network switch and a new i70 but the majority of my comprehensive Raymarine kit is ST60/E80 vintage - and working well!
Currently, one Ray240 handset refuses to connect to the transceiver and the cockpit loudspeaker works when it feels like it. I’ve had it repaired once already.
As it is obsolete I am considering replacing it with a Ray90 system, perhaps using the wireless capability in the cockpit (along with an active speaker).
I think I need the following: E70492, a wireless 2nd station kit with active speaker and handset. What else?
Do I have to upgrade the RS130 with a GA150 as re-running the cable is a tedious job...? The Ray90 has an integral GPS as far as I can see...
Will I need to replace the existing Raymarine extension cabling between the transceiver and the cockpit or will the wireless functionality remove the need for it altogether?
As I live aboard and am currently cruising I want to purchase what I need before removing the Ray240!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-18, 09:40 AM
RE: [CA11] Ray240 VHF upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rfarrington,

Q1. I think I need the following: E70492, a wireless 2nd station kit with active speaker and handset. What else?
A1. Assuming that you will desire to have independent VHF capabilities both at the boat's navigation station (known as the first station) and in the cockpit (second station), the T70434 Raymarine Ray90 Wireless second station pack and an A80543 Raymarine Ray90/91 Active Speaker will be required in addition to the E70492 RAY90.

Q2. Do I have to upgrade the RS130 with a GA150 as re-running the cable is a tedious job...? The Ray90 has an integral GPS as far as I can see...
A2. Installation of a GA150 may not be required. The RS130 GPS Sensor is designed to support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications. As it is presently part of your system, it must presently be interfaced to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which includes a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As the RAY90 is also designed to support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, it may simply be connected to a spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. Should your system's backbone not feature an unused spur socket, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may add spur sockets to a backbone which has been comprised of SeaTalkng networking components.

Q3. Will I need to replace the existing Raymarine extension cabling between the transceiver and the cockpit or will the wireless functionality remove the need for it altogether?
A3. Other than supplying power to the Active Speaker, no cabling need be run to cockpit to support use of the Ray90 Wireless Handset & Active Speaker.
10-26-18, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-18 07:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Very helpful, thank you. I don’t require genuinely ‘independent’ capabilities - only one user will need to use the radio at any one time. However, i do need to be able to use it at both chart table and helm stations. Out of interest, is the Ray 260 still supported by Raymarine?
10-29-18, 07:56 AM
Q. is the Ray 260 still supported by Raymarine?
A. While the Ray90/Ray91 have replaced the Ray260, Raymarine can still provide parts and service or the Ray260 as of today. Naturally, as the Ray90 was only recently introduced, one would expect support and service to be available for the Ray90/Ray91 further into the future than for the Ray260.
10-29-18, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-18 09:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
All understood. Two further questions:
1. When I look online for retailers of the T70434, one website tells me that I will also require the T70433. Is this correct? I have no plans to add a third station...
2. What’s the technical difference between the active and passive speaker?
10-30-18, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-18 09:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rfarrington,

Q1. When I look online for retailers of the T70434, one website tells me that I will also require the T70433. Is this correct? I have no plans to add a third station...
A2. Negative. The supplied passive speaker and wired first station handset would typically be installed at the nav station. If seeking a non-wired solution for the second station (cockpit), a T70434 Ray90 Wireless second station pack and an A80540 Raymarine Wireless Expansion Hub would be required.

Q2. What’s the technical difference between the active and passive speaker?
A2. A passive speaker, more commonly referred to as a conventional speaker is powered from an external amplifier which is not part of the speaker itself. Such speakers will simply require that a two conductor cable be connected between the amplifier (in this case the VHF radio base station) and the speaker. Active speakers, more commonly referred to as powered speakers, feature an internal amplifier. Accordingly, such speakers will typically require a cable featuring four leads (2 power leads and two signal leads) to be connected to the speaker. In the case of the Ray90 active speaker, no signal leads are required, as the speaker will receive audio signal via Wi-Fi from the radio's wireless hub. Active speakers also feature a volume control knob.