Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Seatalk AutoPilot and SeatalkNG AutoPilot
10-20-18, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-18 02:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Seatalk AutoPilot and SeatalkNG AutoPilot
I have been replacing Seatalk components on my boat over the past few years. The current make-up of systems is:

SeatalkNG:
- A127 GPS
- Ray60 Radio
- Quantum Radar connected via Raynet
- Fusion Radio

Seatalk:
- Raypilot 650 Autopilot control head
- 100 course computer
- Raymarine Rudder reference
- Teleflex BA-150-7 hydraulic pump (10.2 CI/167cc)

Currently the SeatalkNG and Seatalk networks are not connected. So everything works well, except autopilot only provides rudder position at this point in time. I would like to have full autopilot functionality. I believe my options are:

Option 1 - Replace Seatalk elements with new Autopilot elements:
p70Rs control head
EV-1
ACU-150

questions are:
i) Do I have the correct part numbers? I am assuming that i can keep the existing rudder reference and hydraulic pump.
ii) Is there any Raymarine combo pack that includes these components?

Option 2 - Connect the SeatalkNG and Seatalk networks
questions are:
iii) Can I just use the bridging connector (looks like a 5-way connector with a yellow connector in the middle?
iv) Can I plug the Seatalk end of the interconnect cable into any Seatalk port, such as the 2nd port of the 650 control head?

And finally:
v) Is there any difference in autopilot functionality between the 2 options?

Thanks,

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-18, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-18 03:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Seatalk AutoPilot and SeatalkNG AutoPilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1a) Do I have the correct part numbers?
A1a) Given the specified hydraulic ram specifications, the T70330 EV-150 Hydraulic (includes EV-1 CCU, ACU-150, Type 1 Hydraulic Pump, and Autopilot Backbone Kit) would be recommended for vessels having a 12V power distribution system and the T70157 EV-200 Hydraulic (includes EV-1 CCU, ACU-200, Type 1 Hydraulic Pump, and Autopilot Backbone Kit) would be recommended for vessels having a 24V power distribution system.

Q1b, I am assuming that i can keep the existing rudder reference and hydraulic pump.
A1b. Yes. The existing rudder reference and hydraulic ram (assuming that the Teleflex BA150-7 steering ram (not pump) is what you actually meant).

Q2) Is there any Raymarine combo pack that includes these components?
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3) Can I just use the bridging connector (looks like a 5-way connector with a yellow connector in the middle?
A3) The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is not supported for use with Type 100/300 autopilot course computers. Accordingly, this is not an option.

Q4) Can I plug the Seatalk end of the interconnect cable into any Seatalk port, such as the 2nd port of the 650 control head?
A4) See the response to Q3.

Q5) Is there any difference in autopilot functionality between the 2 options?
A5) Evolution autopilot's are designed to be Raymarine's best ever performing autopilots an are regularly employed in applications where high winds and big seas are common. The improvements in performance are in large part attributed to the 9-axis sensor (EV-1 CCU) that monitors vessel motion in all three dimensions. Prior generations of autopilots only sensed vessel motion in one axis. Heading, rudder angle, and heel angle data will be provided to the system by the Evolution autopilot. When interfaced to the equipment which you have listed, radar overlay will be aligned using heading from the autopilot instead of COG.
10-22-18, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-18 08:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for getting back to me Chuck! Just want to confirm 2 things:
Q6) The p70Rs control head would be included in the combo pack correct?
Q7) My boat would already have a hydraulic pump correct, so it would not need to be replaced. So this would be an electronics/SeatalkNG upgrade only without dipping into the hydraulics plumbing?

thanks, again
10-23-18, 08:11 AM
Q1) The p70Rs control head would be included in the combo pack correct?
A1) Yes

Q2) My boat would already have a hydraulic pump correct, so it would not need to be replaced. So this would be an electronics/SeatalkNG upgrade only without dipping into the hydraulics plumbing?
A2) Should the hydraulic pump be in good operating condition, then there should be no need to replace it. The previously referenced packages assume that a Type 1 Hydraulic Pump has been installed onboard for use with the Type 100 Course Computer. This should be verified before proceeding with any purchase of a new autopilot.
11-19-18, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-18 05:28 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck I was able to confirm that I have a Type 1 hydraulic pump, (Raymarine), that appears to be in good condition. Can you advise if there is a combo pack from Raymarine that includes just the p70RS, EV-1 and ACU-150, (ie. without a hydraulic pump)?

tks

Dave
11-20-18, 05:35 AM
Hi Dave

Thank you for the feedback.

The T1 12v pump can be used with the ACU150 - the T70407 is a kit comprising the p70Rs, the ACU150 and the EV1 sensor, no pump is included and so this kit can be used with your existing T1 12v pump.

thanks
Derek
04-30-19, 05:59 AM
Chuck, installed my new AutoPilot and have a power question. To recap I have:
EV-1
ACU-150
P70Rs

Regarding the power connection:
1. Page 23 of the printed guide for the EV-1/ACU shows for the ACU-100/ACU-150 a power connection from the battery to the 5-way block PLUS a power connection from the battery to the ACU.
2. Page 26 of the P70Rs indicates that a power connection from the battery to the ACU is only required if it is an ACU-100.

Can you please confirm that 2 power connections are required when an ACU-150 is part of the auto pilot system?

tks

Dave
04-30-19, 08:40 AM
Dave,

Neither the ACU100, nor the ACU150 have the ability to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Accordingly, the backbone, if constructed from SeaTalkng networking components will need to be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been interfaced to a switched power circuit and has been connected to one of the backbone's spur sockets.
05-13-19, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-19 07:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have installed the EV-1, ACU150 and P70Rs. All have power indications, and there appears to be network connectivity as I see the degrees change on the P70Rs, and when I had to take the boat for a spin, 'Detecting magnetics' was displayed on the P70Rs, (even thought the dockside wizard had not run).

Problem: There is no Rudder Reference displayed on the P70Rs.

I tested the Rudder Reference Transducer using http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=95. All resistance measurements seemed normal:

red-green: 4.73 kohms continuous, stop to stop
red-blue (in my case black): port=2.11; midships=2.48; stbd=2.81
blue-green: port=2.84; midships=2.45; stbd=2.13

I can't figure out why the rudder reference is not displayed. Is there another wire that is needed? Or some configuration setting somewhere to turn it on?

I have attached a couple of pix. One shows the P70Rs display with no rudder reference indicated. The second shows the wiring after I reconnected the rudder reference transducer cable.

thanks,

Dave

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)