Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS 700 stopped transmitting positions
10-08-18, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-18 02:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS 700 stopped transmitting positions
For the last several days my AIS 700 stopped transmitting my boat position.

I can see two error messages in proAIS2:

1 AIS: Tx malfunction
69 AIS: Low forward power

See also the attached screen shot. GNSS status looks good.

What is the likely culprit?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-18, 02:35 PM
RE: [CA11] AIS 700 stopped transmitting positions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Nokay,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the referenced voltage test not indicate a power issue and whereas the ProAIS2 software is not reporting VSWR, it would be recommended that the VHF antenna/cable assemble be tested with a VSWR meter. Should the VHF antenna/cable assembly's VSWR be within the range specified within the referenced FAQ, then the AIS700 should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
10-27-18, 09:15 AM
I got a VSWR meter and things seem to check out ok (I measured 1.0:1). The voltage into the unit was also OK. But during this investigation I found a way to "fix" and reproduce the issue:

Note: I had my unit permanently connected via USB to a boat laptop.

To fix:

- Power down the unit (i.e., disconnect standard power connection) AND disconnect the USB connection.
- Switch power back on.
- Reconnect USB.
- Unit would go "all green" and begin transmitting after the standard duration.

To reproduce:

- Power down unit *while leaving USB connected (to active Laptop)*.
- Unit immediately switches into error mode. Even without main power, LED remains red.
- Even powering unit back on (leaving USB connected at all times) does not bring unit out of error mode. The unit was in this state when I sent my initial post.

So it seems my AIS (possibly all AIS) don't like to be powered down while still being connected to the USB.

It seems like a bug to me that my unit does not recover even when main power is restored, while connected to the USB.
10-29-18, 08:00 AM
Nokay,

You may indeed be correct that there may be a fault with the AIS700's USB feature. It is recommended that the AIS700 be updated with the v1.06 (01.06.02) software update to possibly address this issue. Should the problem be duplicated with the updated AIS700 software, then please respond accordingly and a problem report will then the logged to seek correction of the problem within a future AIS700 software update.