Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Compatibility
10-17-18, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-18 08:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Compatibility
Hello I’m replacing my obsolete sport pilot plus in my striper 2600 WA I’ve decided to go with the octopus type t drive paired with raymarine EV200 power. I believe it should work well together ,what I’m not sure of is if and how to hook it to my existing chart plotter which is a L1250 RC Plus and if I can use my existing rudder reference from my sport pilot plus ?
Thank You John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-18, 08:27 AM
RE: [CA11] Compatibility
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

I too have mated an EV-200 Power with an Octopus Type R mechanical drive unit onboard my own boat and love it's performance. The advantage of the Type R over the type T is that you don't have to change out the helm and the drive unit may be installed out of site in the stern of the vessel. You may want to take a look onboard your boat to see if the Type R may be fitted. Regarding your questions, the rudder reference transducer which had been used with the SportPilot may instead be mated to the Evolution ACU. As the Evolution autopilots do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit or a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.) would be used to interface the autopilot to your hsb2 Pathfinder Series Fishfinder/Chartplotter Display.
10-17-18, 10:50 PM
Thank You Chuck,
Archie at Aero marine recommended the type t drive so that’s what I ordered , I see that the acu 200 comes with a new rudder reference so I will just switch it. So on the communication interface would the raymarine SeaTalk to sea talk converter part #E22158 be what I need ?
10-18-18, 08:13 AM
John,

You're welcome. Archie knows his trade and has been mating Octopus drives to Raymarine autopilots for many years.
10-24-18, 09:54 AM
Hay Chuck I have a couple more quick questions.
1 -With the EV1 will I be able to eliminate my NMEA heading compass ?
2- will my current RS120 work with this system or do I need to look for an 125 ?
Thanks John
10-24-18, 10:47 AM
John,

Q1. With the EV1 will I be able to eliminate my NMEA heading compass ?
A1. Should the system feature a hsb2 Pathfinder Series Radar Display, then a 10Hz stabilized heading source would be recommended for support of the system's MARPA feature. The EV-1 CCU is designed to meet this requirement. As indicated within my initial response, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit or a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.) would be used to interface the autopilot to your hsb2 Pathfinder Series Fishfinder/Chartplotter Display. Should a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit be used, 1Hz heading updates will be supplied to the system. Should a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.) be installed, then 10Hz heading data would be supplied to the system. Should the system not feature a hsb2 Pathfinder Series Radar Display, then 1Hz heading updates my well suffice.

Q2. Will my current RS120 work with this system or do I need to look for an 125 ?
A2. Should your current RS120 GPS Sensor be operational, then there would be no need to replace it. However, if replacing it, then it would be recommended that a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor be used.