Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution EV-100 Wheel pilot system
04-27-16, 01:53 PM
Evolution EV-100 Wheel pilot system
Hello Chuck,

Well I saved up over a grand and bought the new Evolution EV-100 Wheel pilot system....

I am now in the planning stages of Wheel system installation.

First off,....I will be removing the following-

ST4000+ Control panel/Computer (helm mounted)
Mark 2 Wheel Drive
Compass Sensor

I also have a Seatalkng converter installed in the system (as shown in the diagram) in support of communication of my ST60 Instruments to the e7 MFD.

If memory serves, I dont think I used the 2 Blue network connections on this unit.

With the evolution system, I see there is a Seatalkng 5 way hub.

Wondering how I would make the connection with the existing Seatalkng converter to the 5 way hub?..., or does this converter get completely removed? (as I think I read in one of your posts)

Thank in advance.....

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Seatalk Diagram March 2016.pdf (Size: 17.34 KB / Downloads: 525)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-16, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-16 03:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Evolution EV-100 Wheel pilot system
jefndeb,

First, let me comment on the diagram of your initial system. At most, each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is designed to support a SeaTalk bus containing up to five SeaTalk devices. You original system featured a SeaTalk bus of seven devices. This bus should have been divided into two smaller SeaTalk busses and each bus would have then been interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which had been updated with v1.21 (now v2.01) or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software. The two SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters would then have been joined to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. Only one SeaTalkng Power Cable would have been installed to power the SeaTalkng backbone created by these two SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

The SeaTalkng backbone specified above may be extended to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector supplied with the Evolution autopilot using an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable to connect the backbone socket of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector to one of the SeaTalkng backbone sockets of either of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters.
04-28-16, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-16 08:22 AM by jefndeb.)
Chuck,

Attached is my new WAG diagram for this upcoming install for my sailboat. Please review and comment. I revised the SeaTalk 1 bus to only have 5 items total.

Is the 3 way T fitting at the helm for the e7 and P70 controller ok?

I ask this because I would like to eliminate the SeaTalkng cable currently running from the converter to the MFD (it had to be spliced to run up the binnacle)

thanks,....

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Seatalk Diagram April 2016.pdf (Size: 17.36 KB / Downloads: 436)
04-28-16, 09:50 AM
jefndeb,

It is recommended that ST70 Instrument Displays and ST70 Autopilot Control Heads be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone instead of being interfaced a SeaTalk bus. After interfacing the ST70 Instrument Display or ST70 Autopilot Control Head, the display's software will need to updated via the e7 MFD. The latest Raymarine product software may be found here.

Within a SeaTalkng backbone, a single SeaTalkng Power Cable should be installed. The SeaTalkng Power Cable is intended to be installed as a spur and to be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit. It is recommended that the SeaTalkng Power Cable be installed at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load. In this case, it is recommended that it be interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

The binnacle portion of the diagram should be revised to show that a SeaTalkng backbone cable is being run from the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector to the binnacle where a second SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector will be installed. A termination plug will be inserted within the remaining blue socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and within this additional SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. A pair of SeaTalkng Spur Cables of appropriate length will then be used to connect the MFD and p70 to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector installed within the binnacle.
04-28-16, 12:37 PM
Chuck,

Pleas see revised drawing.

So I cannot use a T Spur at the helm for the e7 and P70? I have to use another 5 way?..
I ask this because I do not have an enclosed Navpod there for my e7 and finding a good home for the additional 5 way will be challenging.

Please see the marked up diagram for your review and comment,

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Seatalk Diagram April 2016. Rev. A.pdf (Size: 18.59 KB / Downloads: 397)
04-28-16, 01:18 PM
jefndeb,

There is no reason that the ST70 Instrument Display need be removed from the system ... it is simply recommended that it be interfaced via SeaTalkng rather than via SeaTalk to maximize the information which it may display.

The power insertion between the two SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors should be removed. The single power insertion via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will power the SeaTalkng backbone.

A termination plug should be installed within the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or SeaTalkng T-Piece that will be installed at the helm.

Q1. So I cannot use a T Spur at the helm for the e7 and P70? I have to use another 5 way?..
A1. While a SeaTallkng T-Piece features two backbone sockets, it features only one spur socket. You will need two spur sockets to connect the both the MFD and p70 to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the MFD and p70 be closely located to one another, then it would be possible to daisy chain the MFD to the p70 using a SeaTalkng Spur Cable and then connect the p70's second SeaTalkng spur socket to a SeaTalkng T-Piece. However, from a cable routing perspective, it is generally advised that the fewest cables be passed through binnacle tubing. Correspondingly, it may be easier to use a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and then one spur cable to each device. Should the MFD and p70 not be installed within binnacle pods, then this point is moot.
04-28-16, 01:42 PM
I have the St70 Multi installed in the cabin and never really used it so I opted to remove it to keep from having to run another backbone to it due to it being difficult to access.

Yes the e7 and P70 will be within one foot from another....

Please review Rev. B of the diagram and comment thanks...

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Seatalk Diagram April 2016. Rev. B.pdf (Size: 17.67 KB / Downloads: 346)
04-28-16, 02:16 PM
jefndeb,

You're almost there. As long as the total length of the two spur cables used to interface the MFD and p70 to the 5-Way Connector is not greater than 5m, then the helm changes appear correct. However, you have again added a power connection to the 5-Way connector ... remove it and leave the power connection to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter in place.
04-28-16, 02:30 PM
OK, thank you for your patience ...

I revised the diagram to-

remove the 12V to the 5 way, (leaving original 12v supplied to the existing Ng converter) and the ACU, Same breaker???

total backbone length from the 5 way to the P70 along with the spur jumper from the P70 to the MFD will be around 8 feet total....is that ok?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Seatalk Diagram April 2016. Rev. C.pdf (Size: 17.89 KB / Downloads: 504)
04-28-16, 03:45 PM
jefndeb,

The cable which you have referenced as a 5 way backbone to P70 is 6 feet is not a backbone, but rather a spur. Correspondingly, the an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable will be used to connect it to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector ... assuming that the total length of this Spur Cable + the length of the Spur Cable connecting the MFD to the p70 does not exceed 5m.