Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Voyage Planner Replacement
11-07-18, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 07:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Voyage Planner Replacement
I would like to be able to use a laptop to plan routes that I can later upload to my Axiom MFD. I understand that Raymarine Voyage Planner software is no longer being produced or supported. I know that there is still available inventory of Voyage Planner software from retail vendors. Trying to decide if I should invest in software that is no longer being supported. The risk in using end-of-life software is that it may not be compatible with future computer operating system security patches or upgrades. Are there any plans for a new PC navigation program that will work with Raymarine MFDs and Navionics?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-18, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 07:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Voyage Planner Replacement
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Argus,

Q1. I understand that Raymarine Voyage Planner software is no longer being produced or supported.
A1. This is not completely correct. While Voyage Planner may no longer be purchased via Raymarine's Charts Store, the boxed version of Voyage Planner remains available. Raymarine continues to provide support for Voyage Planner.

Q2. Are there any plans for a new PC navigation program that will work with Raymarine MFDs and Navionics?
A2. Raymarine has not yet announced a replacement for Voyage Planner. As of today, Voyage Planner continues to be the recommended PC based planning application for Raymarine MFDs, past and present.
11-08-18, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-18 07:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hey Argus,

I have a C-97 and a es127. I use Coastal Explorer to plan my routes. I then save them on a SD card as a GPX file then up load to my MFD. I then go into my MFDs and verify the route is correct and safe.

1988 Camargue Yacht Fisher
Tom and Kay
11-09-18, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-18 08:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Raymarine Voyage Planner is compatible with Navionics. I checked Coastal Explorer; it uses charts other than Navionics and cost $380.00. Not the way that I want to go. I will use Voyage Planner since Raymarine will continue to provide support.

Thanks for the update. I will purchase and use Voyage Planner as recommended.
12-26-18, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-18 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Argus,

As of the date of this response, Voyage Planner is no longer being sold by Raymarine. Until such time as Raymarine introduces a replacement navigational planning application for Voyage Planner, Navionics has recommended the Navigation Planner application. The Navigation Planner application not only supports Navionics cartography, but also supports GPX files and the LightHouse II / 3 waypoint symbol set. It appears that it may also be trialed prior to purchasing.
12-26-18, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-18 02:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did test Navigation Planner. The current version is pretty old and very slow, with problems stitching charts together. They are working on a new version, so we can hope.
12-26-18, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-18 02:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Alan,

I gave it a brief test without purchasing and found it to be a bit quicker with respect to opening and responding to ranging and panning Navionics cartography. I was running it on a PC w/Windows 10 which was less than a year old.
12-26-18, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-18 03:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks. That is good to know. On my HP Spectre 360 laptop with windows 10, I was having trouble. Unfortunately, with the back and forth with support, the 10 day trial version is over, so I could never get it to work properly, and I cannot test anymore.
I don't know if that has to do with the number of waypoints, routes or tracks, but it was not very usable zooming in and out or moving to edit routes and waypoints.
12-26-18, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, we would not be able to provide any troubleshooting assistance with third party navigational planning software. I would recommend continuing to work with the support team for Navigation Planner.
12-28-18, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-18 09:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, Thanks for the update. I am currently using Voyage Planner and really satisfied with Voyage Planner. I intend to continue to use Voyage Planner until Raymarine comes out with a replacement product. Earlier, you stated that Raymarine will continue to provide support for Voyage Planner; is that still the case?