Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replacement Electronics
09-07-18, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-18 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replacement Electronics
I just acquired a sailboat that utilizes Autohelm ST50 Wind and ST50 Tridata and am considering upgrading the entire suite (chart plotter, radar, wind, depth, speed, VFH, AIS transceiver and auto pilot).
Vessel: 1992 Hunter 33.5, 33.33’ LOA, 10.92’ Beam , cable steering, 11,000 lbs. displacement, aux diesel. Are the transducers for these existing devices compatible with the new line of displays, the i50 Tridata and i60 Wind display. If not is the cabling compatible (i.e.: replace the masthead unit but use the same cable).
These devices would be replacing an ST50 Wind, ST50 Tridata, Garmin GPSMap 741XS, Garmin GMR 18-24 Radar and an Autohelm wheel steer autopilot.

Looking for a recommended setup.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-18, 03:49 PM
RE: [CA11] Replacement Electronics
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mbroderick,

If the vessel will be operated in blue water or wet conditions where a MFD having only a touchscreen may be challenged, then it would typically be recommended that an Axiom Pro 9 S MFD be considered. If operating inshore and/or generally dry conditions, then an Axiom 7 MFD or Axiom 9 MFD would be recommended.

If seeking only reception of AIS data, then it would be recommended that a Ray70 VHF Radio with AIS option be considered. If seeking an AIS transceiver, then it would be recommended that an AIS700 AIS transceiver be considered along with a Ray50, Ray52 (internal GPS), or Ray70 (features internal hailer circuitry) be considered.

For sailboat applications, I generally recommend that a Quantum II Radome be considered for its Doppler collision avoidance technology. For the cost conscious, a Quantum Radome would be recommended. Options are available to install these radomes for wired or Wi-Fi communications. If seeking wired communications, then it would be recommended that a Digital Radar Cable (features power and communications leads) be used with the radome to reduce the number of cables to be chased.

With regard to instruments, the ST50 Wind and ST50 Tridata instruments may be easily replaced with an i60 Wind and i50 Tridata. The currently installed masthead wind transducer base and cable may be retained for use with a new masthead wind transducer. The currently installed depth and speed/temp transducers may be retained for use with the i50 Tridata.

Regarding the autopilot, a T70152 EV-100 Wheel Pilot would be recommended for near shore applications. If seeking an autopilot for offshore applications, then a T70158 EV-200 Linear Pilot would be recommended.

The MFD, instruments, and Evolution autopilot components will be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
12-02-18, 02:38 PM
Chuck,

Thank you for the recommendations, the news that my cable and base for the wind transducer, and DST transducer can be reused is welcome. The vessel will be operated on the Great Lakes (Superior to be exact). I have already acquired a factory refurbished Ray 70 with a second station handset and am considering an eS75 7” MFD with the Navionics bundle to better utilize the AIS features of the Ray 70. I would then replace the Garmin radar with a Raymairne in 2020 or sooner depending on sales/refurbished availibility. What would you suggest with the eS75?

Thank you.
12-03-18, 09:08 AM
mbroderick,

For sailing vessel applications, a Quantum Radome would typically be recommended. Should the WiFi signal strength received from the MFD be at the radome's installation location meet the signal strength specified within the FAQ found here, then you may choose to install either a Quantum Radome featuring a Wi-Fi communications interface or an Ethernet communications interface. If not, then a Quantum Radome featuring an Ethernet communications interface would be recommended.