Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] dual rudder reference sensors.
11-23-18, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-18 09:54 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
dual rudder reference sensors.
I have dual ACU 400's. Do I connect a seperate rudder sensor to each computer and run the setup wizard twice, once for each computer / rudder sensor combination or install 1 rudder sensor which is connected to both computers and run the setup wizard once.
Would be really nice if rudder sensor connected to backbone
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-18, 10:21 PM
RE: dual rudder reference sensors.
Hello shparrot,

Don't attempt to connect the same rudder reference to both ACUs: even if you only have one ACU powered at once, putting the sensor supply voltage from one into output of the other isn't a good idea. I don't know if this would damage the ACU, but I'd say it's a possibility not to be ignored. Having both ACUs powered at once would multiply the potential problems.

Simplest solution: run the primary pilot with the rudder-reference and the backup rudder-referenceless.
Best solution: two rudder references.

Yes, you can get NMEA2000 rudder position in via an ITC5 convertor, but the data rate of this is too slow to be effective for the pilot and it wouldn't be used by the pilot. The pilot needs instantaneous data about rudder position in relation to yaw rate and drive output voltage in order for it to be useful, whereas the standard NMEA2000 rudder data update rate is only 10Hz.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply