Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Best transducer for Axiom Pro 16 RVX
11-23-18, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-18 09:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Best transducer for Axiom Pro 16 RVX
Have Axiom Pro 16 RVX with RV220 transducers and Quantum 2 Q24D radar on 38’ Bertram. Used in Pacific Northwest for salmon fishing down to 200’ halibut fishing to 250’ and prawning to 400’. There is often a very distinct thermocline anywhere from 40’ to 80’, at present sounder does not work well 200’. It loses bottom and if it has bottom line on sounder it does not show up as digital depth reading on chart plotter. What additional transducer do you recommend and do I need a cp370 or cp470 with that to get best reading or is the unit by itself sufficient?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-18, 09:55 AM
RE: [CA11] Best transducer for Axiom Pro 16 RVX
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

The steep thermoclines common to the Pacific west coast indeed post a challenge for the relatively low power output of the RV transducers. For this application, it would typically be recommended that a CP370 with a 1kW 50kHz / 200kHz transducer or that a CP470 with a compatible wide beam CHIRP transducer be added to the system.
11-27-18, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-18 08:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I will add a B265 LM 1Kw transducer directly to my axiom pro (in the second plug on the back). This means I should have a low and medium Hz transducer added to my already existing high Hz RV transducer.

From everything I have read in your prior posts there doesn't seem to be a reason to purchase the CP470 unless I actually plan on upping my wattage to a 2kw transducer.

Right now I am unable to get a good bottom reading (although the bottom contour is present) with my RV axiom pro when I am in depths around 200ft or deeper. Do you think adding this additional 1kw transducer directly into the back of the unit will create a significant advantage over the existing RV transducer when it comes to seeing the bottom? My other option would be to add a 2kw transducer with a CP450 but would that be overkill if I only need to see about 500-600 feet down?

Any advice you can pass along would be great.
11-28-18, 09:40 AM
Bob,

For the depths which you are operating in, your suggested to interface the B265 LM 1Kw transducer directly to the 1kW transducer socket of the Axiom Pro RVX MFD would indeed be recommended. When operating in depths exceeding those which you have specified, I generally recommend that customers consider installation of a CP370 or CP470/CP570 sounder module, as end users have reported better performance with the same transducer.

Q1. Do you think adding this additional 1kw transducer directly into the back of the unit will create a significant advantage over the existing RV transducer when it comes to seeing the bottom?
A1. Absolutely.