Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Multiple Navionics charts in e95/e7?
12-03-18, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-18 11:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Multiple Navionics charts in e95/e7?
Hello!

I recently enhanced my e95 system by adding an e7 MFD (purchased from RayMarine). Its connected via RayNet (Ethernet) and everything was working 100% -- until I loaded two Navionics chart cards.
Before this, I had my Navionics USA/Canada card in SD1 on the e95, a mostly empty storage card in SD2, my Lighthouse charts (NOAA, Blue Latitudes and now NV) in SD1 on the e7 and another empty storage card in SD2. I renewed my South America/Caribbean Navionics card and loaded it into SD2 on the e95 - but now I cannot access my US/Canada Navionics charts! All of my lighthouse & NV charts are available (including multiple versions of certain NOAA charts), but only the latest date Navionics charts show up in "Chart Select"
I also tried removing the SA card and installing it in SD2 in the e7, and the same thing happens - only the latest Navionics charts (South America/Caribbean) show up and the US/Canada are not available.
Interestingly, both MFDs exhibit the same problem - and the South America/Caribbean entries in the "Chart Select" list do not show the renewal date and other info - the entry is blank except for the "Nautical Chart" and "SonarChart (Not for Navigation)" lines. Removing the "extra" Navionics card restores normal operation, regardless of which card is left in.

What is REALLY odd is that both chart cards show up in the initial bootup "accept" screen, with proper dates and titles showing.

Now I can work around this, as the South America card has Florida on it, and I can remove & replace the cards as needed, but this seems a rather silly limitation!

Both of my MFDs (and everything else in my system) have the latest (and, sadly, last) LH2 firmware version installed.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-18, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-18 01:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Multiple Navionics charts in e95/e7?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hartley,

The design of LightHouse II software should generall support having a second Navionics Chart card present within the MFD's memory card reader or within the readers of the system's MFDs. While only one Navionics Chart chart card will be listed within the Chart application's Chart selection feature (this is simply a feature ... don't worry about it ... just select it), the Chart application should be able to display all Navionics Nautical Charts within the system. Accordingly, one should expect that if the Chart Boundaries layer has been configured ON and that if ranged out far enough to view the geographic areas covered by each chart card, that chart boundaries should be rendered corresponding to the cartography for each chart card. One should also find that when one ranges into an area only supported by one of the chart cards, that detailed cartography for the corresponding area is visible ... test both areas. In areas having overlapping coverage, the LightHouse II software should utilize cartography from the chart card having the most current Freshest Data update.

This said, we have received reports where chart data from a second Navionics chart card within the reader of MFD within the system not being able to be accessed via the system's MFDs. In such cases, the issue is often resolved by inserting both Navionics chart cards into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader. Unfortunately, this sometimes does not resolve the reported issue and it would then be necessary to operate the system with only one Navionics chart card within the memory card reader of the system's MFDs. As there is generally significant overlap in coverage provided by Navionics chart cards, this limitation generally has limited or no impact upon the practical operation of the product.

In contrast, LightHouse Charts are designed to be individually selected for viewing and only one LightHouse Chart may be selected for viewing within a single Chart application page/pane.
12-03-18, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-18 09:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Well, you can count me as another case. I would bet that the software routine that decides which Navionics chart card is newer for areas of overlap is instead doing it for everywhere. I wonder if I update both cards on the same day if that would defeat this "feature"?

Anyway, I can live with the issue since both the USA/Canada and the South America/Caribbean cards contain Florida - when I get back from the Caribbean, I will swap the Navionics cards around. :(

Thanks for your time!

Hartley
S/V Atsa
12-04-18, 09:18 AM
You're welcome.