Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 7 Transducer Selection
12-06-18, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-18 04:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 7 Transducer Selection
Hi,
I have a 30 ft sailboat with defunct ST50 instruments.

I'm currently installing an EV-100 Auto Pilot and have an AXIOM 7 DV Multifunction Display with CPT-100DVS Transducer arriving shortly.

I'm considering the installation of a DST800 Smart Triducer for speed and depth.

Can I use the Axiom 7 DV to handle things like depth offsets, alarms and any calibrations settings for depth and speed?

Best Regards
Ward
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-18, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-18 12:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom 7 Transducer Selection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ward,

While an Axiom MFD may configure depth offsets, alarms and any calibrations settings for depth and speed associated with fishfinder transducers which have been interfaced to the MFD or to an fishfinder sonar module which has been interfaced to the MFD, it is not possible for an Axiom MFD to configure depth offsets, alarms and any calibrations settings for depth and speed for a smart DST800. In the case of the latter, an i70S/i70 MFID must be installed for such purposes.
12-07-18, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-18 11:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks for the quick reply. Here are my follow up questions.
Since this is for a sailboat where depth and speed thru water vs GPS speed is important, then depth and speed transducers, smart or dumb, must go to a display?
Then by using an ITC-5 or by using smart transducers, the data can be converted to SeatalkNG so the depth and speed can be displayed on the Axiom?

I believe I can make the CPT-100DVS Transducer work as a in hull transducer for depth but I don't think this transducer, in hull or on the stern, reads speed. Am I correct?

Ward
12-07-18, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-18 12:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ward,

Q1. Since this is for a sailboat where depth and speed thru water vs GPS speed is important, then depth and speed transducers, smart or dumb, must go to a display?
Then by using an ITC-5 or by using smart transducers, the data can be converted to SeatalkNG so the depth and speed can be displayed on the Axiom?
A1. Yes. However, the MFDs cannot configure offsets, alarms and or perform any calibrations for instrument transducers (smart or analog). If installing a smart transducer or installing an iTC-5, then an i70S/i70 MFID must also be installed.

Q2. I believe I can make the CPT-100DVS Transducer work as a in hull transducer for depth but I don't think this transducer, in hull or on the stern, reads speed. Am I correct?
A2. As the DownVision and CPT-S transducer feature relatively low power output when compared to 600W transducers, it is not recommended that these transducers be installed inside of a hull. Accordingly, Raymarine offers no variants of these transducers which are designed to be installed inside of a hull. It is generally recommended that Axiom DV MFDs be interfaced to either a CPT-110 / CPT-120 Thru-Hull DownVision Transducer, a CPT-S Thru-Hull transducer (most common), or an adapted (part #E66066) 600W transducer which as been designed for use with a CP370 Fishfinder Sounder Module.

Q3. Are the DownVision or CPT-S transducers designed to sense speed?
A3. Negative.
12-08-18, 10:05 PM
Hi Chuck,
Here is my newest plan for depth and speed instruments.
I believe I would like separate depth and speed transducers so:

Retain my ST50 depth transducer. (it works)
Install a ST800-P120 speed transducer.
Connect to a ITC5 for data conversion to SeatalkNG.
Install a i70S to set depth offset, depth alarm and calibrate speed and display Depth, Speed and other data.

I then could display depth and speed on my Axiom 7.

Will this setup work?

Ward
12-10-18, 10:34 AM
Ward,

Your suggested system is indeed a valid solution for providing the system with depth, speed, and water temperature data.