Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum Radar not found
12-13-18, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-18 11:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Quantum Radar not found
I'm with a Search and Rescue station on Pender Island in BC, Canada. Our boat is a fast response RIB equipped with ES MFD's and a Quantum radar. The radar is wired in to a HS Seatalk network switch.

Although we've had intermittent connection issues between our Master MFD and the Quantum radar since installed (approx 2 yrs ago), it has now become permanent. No amount of power recycling, either of the Radar or MFD or both seems to allow the MFD to see the radar.

The HS Seatalk port is blinking green and I was able to upgrade the radar software to the most recent firmware (Oct 2018) which is curious.

The electronics vendor here in BC, MacKay Communications has suggested that we dismount the unit and ship it to them for repair or replacement (it is under warranty). This will mean that our search and rescue capability will be compromised for an unacceptable period.

Can you help?

Mike Fossl
Maintenance Officer
RCM SAR Station 20, Pender Island
250 937 1686
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-18, 11:21 AM
RE: [CA11] Quantum Radar not found
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

It is recommended that you verify that the MFD is operating with LightHouse II v19.03 or LightHouse 3 v3.7.40 software. If not, the MFD's software should be updated accordingly. Should doing so not resolve the issue, then it would be recommended that user data stored within the MFD be backed up to a microSD memory card, that the MFD then be commanded to perform a System Settings & Data Reset (LH II) or Factory Reset (LH3), that the MFD's settings then be manually reconfigured, and user data imported back into the MFD's memory.

Should the problem persist, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject and including some additional things which should verified / addressed. Unfortunately, should the problem be rooted within the radome, then the radome would need to be serviced within Raymarine's Product Repair Center ... these cannot be serviced in the field. If sending it in for repair, I would be certain to state that the radome was installed on the a first responder vessel and to accordingly expedite / assign priority for bench testing / service.
12-13-18, 08:21 PM
We are running the latest Lighthouse version 2 software and I have done a System Settings and Data reset on all three MFD's on the network. I've followed all the procedures on the FAQ.

In addition we tried connecting to the radome using WIFI and got an incorrect password despite using the password on the sticker under the radome (double and triple checked several times).

The SSID broadcast by the radome had an additional "W3" in the middle compared with what was on the sticker.

Can we bring the Radome to any authorized dealer?

THX,

Mike
12-14-18, 07:36 AM
Mike,

Q1. We are running the latest Lighthouse version 2 software and I have done a System Settings and Data reset on all three MFD's on the network. I've followed all the procedures on the FAQ.
A1. It has been noted that the MFDs have LightHouse II software. Has version 19.03 been installed within these MFDs? If so, then it would be recommended that the radome be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced per my initial response. Raymarine dealers are not equipped to repair radar circuitry. Should the radome be brought to a Raymarine dealer, they would have to send it to the Repair Center.

Q2. In addition we tried connecting to the radome using WIFI and got an incorrect password despite using the password on the sticker under the radome (double and triple checked several times).
A2. Within systems which feature a wired connection to the Quantum radome, it will not be possible to establish a Wi-Fi connection to the radome.
12-14-18, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-18 08:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
If we disconnect the HSS cable, can we then connect via wifi?
12-17-18, 09:08 AM
Mike,

Many are not aware that the design of the wired Quantum radome features two Wi-Fi transmitter/receivers. One is connected to the radome's wired communications interface and the other is identical to that which W-Fi - only Quantum radomes have. When interfaced to the Quantum radome via a communications cable, commands and data are passed between these Wi-Fi communications interface. It is quite possible that the root of the problem which you are experiencing with the Quantum is within its Wi-Fi receiver that is common to Wi-Fi - only Quantum radomes. Should a Quantum radome have been interfaced to the system via a communications cable, then it would be necessary to disconnect the Quantum communications cable from the MFD or network switch and then perform a Settings Reset or Factory Reset to clear knowledge of the radome from the memories of the system's MFDs. One may then attempt to pair a MFD (the one which is in closest proximity to the Quantum and/or surrounded by the least structure would be recommended) with the Quantum radome. Afterwards, whenever desiring to utilize radar features, this MFD must be switched ON.