Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AXIOM MFD ADDED TO 2003 RAYMARINE SYSTEM
12-15-18, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-18 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AXIOM MFD ADDED TO 2003 RAYMARINE SYSTEM
1 Will I be able to integrate these systems?
2 Do I need both Seatalk HS and NG between my two new Axiom displays?
3 Will my Axiom's talk to my AutoPilot/Course Computer?
4 Should I separate these two systems (I want to keep the old for Radar)?
5 I will be added AIS next.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-18, 03:44 PM
RE: [CA11] AXIOM MFD ADDED TO 2003 RAYMARINE SYSTEM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

Q1. Will I be able to integrate these systems?
A1. Yes. The Axiom MFDs are designed to share all compatible system data and resources with one another via their respective Ethernet communications interfaces. Please note that it is not possible for Axiom MFDs to share radar, fishfinder, cartography, satellite weather, camera video, thermal camera with hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays. Communications between these products is limited to data which would be communicated via a SeaTalk bus (GPS data, instrument data, navigational data, system state data, commands, and some alarms. As interfaced within your diagrams, the Axiom MFDs would function as chartplotter/fishfinders while the Pathfinder Series Displays would function as Chartplotter/Radar displays.

Q2. Do I need both Seatalk HS and NG between my two new Axiom displays?
A2. Negative. Your diagram is close to being correct regarding how one would interface the older Pathfinder display based systems to the Axiom MFDs. Specifically, the spur connection to one of the Axiom MFDs may be eliminated unless seeking a level of redundancy and/or seeking to operate one of the Axiom MFDs while the other is switched OFF.

Q3. Will my Axiom's talk to my AutoPilot/Course Computer?
A3. Yes. However the Autopilot Controls feature of the LightHouse 3 software running within the Axiom MFDs can only be used with Evolution autopilots. Accordingly, should one command a Go To Waypoint/Cursor or Follow Route on the Axiom MFDs, then it would be necessary to command the autopilot into Track mode via one of the systems autopilot control heads ... as it presently must be done with the Pathfinder Series Displays.

Q4. Should I separate these two systems (I want to keep the old for Radar)?
A4. I see no reason at present separate these two systems. Please be aware that the older equipment is not designed to support more than one source of any specific type of data within the system. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the internal GPS sensors within the Axiom MFDs be configured OFF.

Q5. I will be added AIS next.
A5. Noted. In doing so, the best installation practice would dictate that it be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which Data Master Axiom MFD will be interfaced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply