Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ACU UPGRADE
12-19-18, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-18 04:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ACU UPGRADE
Upgrading my Raymarine instruments and have a new P70 along with I70 I60 and other new products. All STng.

The present course computer is a S3G, I assume an EV400 would be the replacement unit. I believe the current S3G would operate with ST1 and a converter.

What would the major advantages be in upgrading to an Evolution system? I would have the linear drive reconditioned by Raymarine as believe it would be compatible. Can I use the existing Rudder Reference hardware?

As always thanks for your great advice

Fletch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-18, 05:11 PM
RE: [CA11] ACU UPGRADE
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

Q1. Upgrading my Raymarine instruments and have a new P70 along with I70 I60 and other new products. All STng. The present course computer is a S3G, I assume an EV400 would be the replacement unit. I believe the current S3G would operate with ST1 and a converter.
A1. When installing a p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS Autopilot Control Head to a S1/S2/S3/S1G/S2G/S3G Autopilot Course Computer, the p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS Autopilot Control Head must be interfaced to the same SeaTalk bus that includes the S1/S2/S3/S1G/S2G/S3G Autopilot Course Computer. The p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS Autopilot Control Head should be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng/ NMEA 2000 backbone with this autopilot course computer.

Q2. What would the major advantages be in upgrading to an Evolution system?
A2. The primary benefits of the Evolution autopilot over prior generations of autopilots is superior heading performance. This is a feature of the EV-1 CCU's solid state (vs mechanical fluxgate) 9-axis sensor that monitors vessel motion in all three dimensions. As such the autopilot adjusts to vessel pitch, roll, and heave motion in addition to heading motion. The superior heading performance of the EV-1 CCU translates not only into excellent autopilot performance, but also into all system features which are dependent upon stable, accurate heading data (ex. radar overlay, etc.).

Q3. I would have the linear drive reconditioned by Raymarine as believe it would be compatible.
A3. Assuming that the original drive unit is of a Raymarine design, then it should indeed be compatible with the ACU-400.

Q4. Can I use the existing Rudder Reference hardware?
A4. Yes.
12-19-18, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-18 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thanks
12-20-18, 09:15 AM
You're welcome.