Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Seeking to upgrade E120 and E80
12-19-18, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-18 09:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Seeking to upgrade E120 and E80
We have a 2009 Moody 45 DS with it’s original suite of Raymarine electronics. We recently relocated the boat to Greece and could not purchase appropriate charts. It appears Raymarine is no longer supporting updates for the Compact Flash cards needed for the classic E120 and E80 chart plotters.

I’m looking for recommendations for replacement of these two units with new MFDs which will fit in the original flush mount locations. The E80 is at the navigation station while the E120 is in the cockpit.

Also, please recommend a replacement for my analog radar as I understand it will not be compatible with the new MFDs.

I hope that I can continue using my wind instruments, depth sounder, and autopilot, which are all original Raymarine products.

Thanks for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-18, 10:27 AM
RE: [CA11] Seeking to upgrade E120 and E80
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pbaehr,

Q1. It appears Raymarine is no longer supporting updates for the Compact Flash cards needed for the classic E120 and E80 chart plotters.
A1. Raymarine, Inc. ceased distribution of CF memory cards which had been populated with software update files approximately ten years ago. As indicated within the FAQ found here, Raymarine strongly recommends that one of its dealers (specifically Radar Marine) be contacted to purchase a microSD memory card which has been populated with software update files. Regarding Navionics cartography, please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, Raymarine has likewise recommended that Radar Marine be contacted to purchase a Navionics+ chart card which the will purge and then re-populate with up to 2GB of Navionics Nautical Charts for the waters to be navigated.

Q2. I’m looking for recommendations for replacement of these two units with new MFDs which will fit in the original flush mount locations. The E80 is at the navigation station while the E120 is in the cockpit.
A2. If seeking to replace the currently installed MFDs, then it would be recommended that Axiom or Axiom Pro MFDs be considered. Raymarine does not offer MFDs were are designed to fit the exact cutouts/footprints of the E-Series Classic MFDs. For sailboat cockpit applications, a MFD having a HybridTouch interface (i.e. Axiom Pro S 12 MFD) rather than a touchscreen-only interface (i.e. Axiom 9 MFD) be installed. Either MFD would be recommended the navigation station. However, should an Axiom 9 MFD be installed at the navigation station, then it would be recommended that a remote USB memory card reader be installed at that locations, as the card reader of Axiom MFDs may only be accessed from its back side. More information concerning replacing E-Series Classic MFDs with Axiom and/or Axiom Pro MFDs may be found here and here.

Q2. Also, please recommend a replacement for my analog radar as I understand it will not be compatible with the new MFDs.
A2. This subject is covered in the previously referenced FAQs. For sailing vessels, I would typically recommend a Quantum 2 Radome.

Q3. I hope that I can continue using my wind instruments, depth sounder, and autopilot, which are all original Raymarine products.
A3. As indicated within the previously referenced FAQs, most autopilots and instruments of the vintage of the E-Series Classic MFDs may be adapted for use with Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs. If supplied with a list of the product names or product IDs of the currently installed products, then I may be able to provide additional information with respect to the compatibility / adaptability of these components. A complete list of the SeaTalk devices (visible and hidden) may be obtained by executing the command sequence MENU->SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS->EXTERNAL INTERFACES->SEATALK->SEATALK DEVICES ... it is recommended that this command be executed at least a few time in case all devices are not listed upon the initial execution of the command.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply