Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Partial system upgrade
12-21-18, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-18 01:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Partial system upgrade
My current system comprises;

c95 MFD, which is currently only used as a plotter, but does show AIS targets and depth information (I assume via SeaTalk info from the Tridata and connected transducer)
ST60 tri data, connected to separate depth and speed transducers
SL72 radar display, connected to 18” Radome
ST6002 autopilot
AIS650 transponder

I am planning;

Addition of i60 wind display with ST60 masthead transducer (as discussed in my last post)
Removal of SL72 radar display and 18” Radome
Addition of RD418HD digital colour Radome, to display on c95
Addition of a second MFD, an a78, primarily to be used as depth sounder/sonar/downvision, coupled to a new CPT120 transducer

I am assuming that the depth transducer feeding the Tridata display will probably become redundant, although there is no reason to remove it if it will serve as a second depth sounder, alongside the new a78/CPT120 setup.
If it will not be used in the new system, it may make sense to remove it and use the resultant void in the hull to mount the new CPT120.
I also assume that the new i60 wind display will use data from the current speed transducer (paddle wheel), connected to the Tridata unit, to compute true wind.

I would welcome your comments on my proposals.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-18, 02:17 PM
RE: [CA11] Partial system upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Winston,

Q1. I am assuming that the depth transducer feeding the Tridata display will probably become redundant, although there is no reason to remove it if it will serve as a second depth sounder, alongside the new a78/CPT120 setup.
A1. Unlike currently manufactured products supporting data source selection within systems featuring more than one source of any specific type of data (GPS, speed, wind, heading, etc.), the ST60 instruments and your autopilot do not. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the depth transducer leads be disconnected from the ST60 Tridata instrument and that the instrument then be configured as a depth repeater.

Q2. If it will not be used in the new system, it may make sense to remove it and use the resultant void in the hull to mount the new CPT120.
A2. This is indeed reasonable. Please not that the shaft of the CPT120 is smaller than the 2" shaft of commonly installed instrument depth transducers. This would necessitate that the [censored] be re-glassed prior to drilling for the CPT120.

Q3. I also assume that the new i60 wind display will use data from the current speed transducer (paddle wheel), connected to the Tridata unit, to compute true wind.
A3. Given that the system features an operational ST60 Tridata instrument, it would be recommended that the i60 Wind instrument be installed as a SeaTalk device rather than a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device to ensure that a speed data source is always recommended to support true wind data features within the system. Accordingly, the i60 Wind should be daisy chained to the ST60 Tridata instrument.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply