Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot current limit Type 1 hyd pump
12-28-18, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-18 10:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot current limit Type 1 hyd pump
Hello, I have a Raymarine Type 1 hydraulic drive pump which is getting CURRENT LIMIT alarms on the ST6001 control head and shifting to STANDBY. This is a new development. No similar alarms for the past 4 years of my ownership. All that I know from previous owner is the AP was installed prior to 2002.
After reading the other post on CURRENT LIMIT:
I measured the motor current with a clamp-on DC ammeter while inputting +10 degree changes, then -10. Current is about 14 to 16 amps driving the hydraulic pump with the boat at standstill. Max amps measured was 19.5 when trips to STANDBY. Rudder swings with little resistance when disconnected from the ram. Not bound in any way.
When I attempted to disconnect the motor from the pump base, some fluid leaked out. Maybe 2 tablespoons worth before I put it back together and no leaks. Does this mean a bad seal?
So, can this unit be rebuilt or replaced with like kind?
Is this a motor problem like brush replacement job? I would prefer not to have to break into the hydraulic side if possible.
If so, can you only replace the motor?
Archie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-18, 10:07 AM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot current limit Type 1 hyd pump
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Archie,

It indeed appears that the hydraulic pump has suffered a failure. Unfortunately, these pumps are neither designed to be serviced by their owners nor Raymarine's Product Repair Center. Accordingly, replacement parts and service are not made available for hydraulic pumps. It is recommended that that pump be replaced to correct the reported issue.
01-02-19, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-19 08:49 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you.
Does the new 81120 pump replace my old Type 1 pump. I realize the outlet ports come out the front vs the top, but are the ports the same thread size? I can't find that info anywhere.
01-02-19, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-19 08:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Archie,

The old Type 1 pumps are indeed interchangeable with the new Type 1 pumps. Raymarine has always used pumps featuring British Standard Pipe (BSP) thread. Accordingly, it should be possible to simply disconnect the fittings from the old pump and then connect them to the new pump.
01-02-19, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-19 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Great thanks again.
01-02-19, 03:28 PM
You're welcome.