Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Quantum vs HD radar
05-02-16, 08:27 AM
Quantum vs HD radar
I am looking to upgrade my mfd and radar on my 48' Hatteras LRC, top speed about 8 knots and used for cruising and weekend trips. I had been considering the HD Color 24" but with the introduction of the Quantum am now undecided. It is marketed as newer better technology and is quite a bit cheaper. Why would I want one or the other?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-16, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-16 12:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Quantum vs HD radar
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Paul,

Quantum is considered an entry level radar scanner with respect to some radar performance characteristics. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-02-16, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-16 08:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The information cited says it's a matter of good, better and best. The close range performance is often cited as a feature of the Quantum. I am probably more interested in close range target acquisition and definition in fog and darkness than ability to reach out to 48 miles. So, would the 24" HD Color be better in this regard too?
05-03-16, 09:16 AM
Paul,

Quantum radomes have been designed as a 24nm entry level radar to replace Raymarine's Digital Radomes (not to be confused with Raymarine's HD Digital Radomes). Should cost be a priority, one not desire dual range, 48 RPM, or Bird Mode (i.e. a feature desirable to fishermen), and/or not desire install a Digital Radar Cable, then a Quantum radome would be recommended.