Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] questions on intigrating an a68 into the seatalk ng system
12-29-18, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-18 10:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] questions on intigrating an a68 into the seatalk ng system
I have just installed an a68 into my seatalk ng bus and have a couple of questions:
1. I have a C90W that is designated as the master on the ng bus. Where do I find the setting on the a68 to insure that it is not also trying to be master?
2. The radar is connected to the C90W on a dedicated port. Is there a way of passing it's data to the a68?

Thanks
Bob Schmidt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-18, 11:05 AM
RE: [CA11] questions on intigrating an a68 into the seatalk ng system
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1. 1. I have a C90W that is designated as the master on the ng bus. Where do I find the setting on the a68 to insure that it is not also trying to be master?
A1. The design of Raymarine MFDs having an Ethernet network (ex. RayNet, SeaTalhs, RJ45) interface is that the system will be comprised entirely of compatible Raymarine MFDs of the same family (ex. E-Series Classic MFDs only, C-Series Widescreen MFDs only, E-Series Widescreen MFDs only, a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs only, etc.). These compatible MFDs would then be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network through which virtually all data would be shared between the system's MFDs. In such systems, only the Data Master MFD would typically be interfaced to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

In blended systems such as you have created each MFD will default to being a Data Master because no compatible MFD was detected via the MFD's Ethernet communications interface. It has been my experience that the system's master for any particular setting is determined by the last device which had configured that setting. Accordingly, what you should find is that if you change a shared system setting (ex. bearing mode, datum, depth units, etc.) on any MFD, then the other MFD will slave to to the new setting.

Q2. The radar is connected to the C90W on a dedicated port. Is there a way of passing it's data to the a68?
A2. Negative. See the response to Q1 regarding compatible MFDs being interfaced to one another via an Ethernet communications network. As these two families of MFDs were not designed to be installed within the same Ethernet network, radar, cartography, fishfinder, SiriusXM satellite weather, IP video, and thermal camera video may not be shared between these MFDs.
01-03-19, 01:30 PM
OK thanks Chuck, and once again happy new year.

The system does seem to be behaving the way you described which is fine. I bought the a68 for the CHIRP capability and would want it independent from the C90 sounder anyhow. I just wanted to be sure there was no adverse interaction between the 2 units.

Bob Schmidt
01-07-19, 09:51 AM
You're welcome.