The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrades to my 2006 Four Winns
01-04-19, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-19 03:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrades to my 2006 Four Winns
I purchased a 2006 Four Winns (Vista 348 Vista, 2x Volvo 5.7 inboards) new 12 years ago. It came with a C80, 18" 2K radar, Airmar retractable Depth and Temp sensor (NMEA 0183 connected I believe), Raymarine Auto pilot (the boat has hydraulic steering), and a Raymarine VHF radio which has since been replaced with a Raymarine 60 (2 years ago).

I am looking to upgrade. Initial thought was to use two (2) Axion 9 units, Quantum 2 radar and AIS700. I believe that I would need to added a HS5 switch to connect the two displays and the radar. I would add an Actisense NMEA 0183 > NMEA 2000 converter for the feed to the Autopilot and replace the current Airmar unit with an Airmar NMEA 2000 unit (20 degree deadrise, no new holes in the boat, just replace the retractable unit).

I would also add a RCR-SDUSB card reader and a RMK-10 key pad for convenience. A RA150 GPS sensor would be added to ensure GPS signal since the MFD are going to be installed inside the helm. The existing RAY60 could be connected to the Seatalkng backbone. Various Seatalkng components would also be added.

Looking at the Axiom Pro 9, it appears to have TWO ethernet (Raynet) ports, a GPS antenna port and a NMEA 0183 interface. Though more expensive, it would eliminate the HS5, card reader, key pad and Actisense converter, and the RA150 could be replaced with a GA150 making the increase in cost minimal . Also, the Axiom 9 has better screen resolution.

So my proposed configuration:

One Axiom Pro 9 (the "master" unit), one Axiom 9, one Quantum 2 radar. The Axiom 9 and Quantum 2 would connect directly to the Axiom Pro 9 using Raynet cables. AIS700.
The existing Airmar would connect to the input side of the Axiom Pro 9 NMEA 0183 interface. The output of the Axiom Pro NMEA 0183 interface would connect to the exissting Autopilot. the GA150 would connect to the Axiom Pro 9 interface.

Will this work and does it make sense?

Also, will I need to add an EV-1 to get the fulll benefit from the Quantum 2 radar OR is there a way to get the HDG/HDT info from the existing Autopilot?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Upgrades to my 2006 Four Winns - morowsky - 01-04-19 02:46 PM