Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Depth value cycling up and down
01-03-19, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-19 04:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Depth value cycling up and down
I installed a new Raymarine instrument pack. It includes:
- ITC-5
- i70s screen
- P19 depth transducer

The depth works mostly fine, however, every now and then, a funny thing happens where the depth will suddenly cycle down to 0.0m and then cycle back up to correct reading.

It might do this 3 times in a row before settling down to the correct reading again. The cycling takes maybe 5 seconds to go down to 0 and back up again.

I've witnessed this happening in all depths.

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-19, 06:34 PM
RE: [TG11] Depth value cycling up and down
Hello benzy,

On yachts, this can sometimes happen when the sounder gets an echo from the fringes of the sound 'beam' off the keel or a daggerboard. For safety reasons the system treats the shallowest strong return as the bottom, and if due to a combination of depth, bottom material and structure, water conditions, heel, etc. etc. the keel echo is a similar signal level to the bottom echo, the keel echo will tend to get treated as the bottom. Once a strong signal is regained from the bottom, you'll get the correct depth again. The beam pattern from the instrument depth transducers is very wide and un-focussed, so it's relatively common for boat structure to be within the fringes of that beam.

Another possibility is that there's some noise/interference at the 200kHz frequency that the sounder operates which is being picked up and being treated as a bottom echo. This is hard to diagnose in instrument systems, but is a common cause of poor sounder performance in fishfinder systems. The source of interference could be an electrical system or acoustic noise at that frequency (on powerboats we often see hull vibration at sounder operating frequencies).

Where's the tranducer mounted, what sort of boat is it?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply