Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] ST60+ Low Depth Alarm Setting Blocked?
01-17-19, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-19 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] ST60+ Low Depth Alarm Setting Blocked?
Hi There,
I have ST60+ depth, speed, wind and Graphic displays connected via ST1 (which are in turn interfaced with an A70D MFD and A ST2000+ pilot via ST1 to STng converters).
I don’t seem to be able to get access to set the low depth alarm setting on the ST60+ instrument.

Could you please advise what might be blocking my access to this setting?

Regards
Dave Davies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-19, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-19 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE:[TG11] ST60+ Low Depth Alarm Setting Blocked?
Hello Dave,

You can only configure alarms on the device that provides the data: is the depth transducer connected to the ST60+ Depth, or the A70D? If the latter, you need to configure the alarm on the A70D. Note that alarms aren't necessarily passed through convertors.

Also: convertors plural? You should only have 1. More than one convertor implies two separate ST1 or STNG networks, which can cause all sorts of data problems including data loops. You should have a single ST1 network, a single STNG network, and a single point of connection.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
01-18-19, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-19 08:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] ST60+ Low Depth Alarm Setting Blocked?
Hi Dave,
In addition to the advice given by my colleague, check the Shallow alarm Lock accessed through the USER calibration is turned OFF. There is a lock applied to the shallow alarm value to prevent inadvertent alteration.

Regardss
Derek
01-18-19, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-19 07:10 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE:[DG11] ST60+ Low Depth Alarm Setting Blocked?
Hi Tom and Derek,
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I didn’t provide better information regarding the layout.
I have attached a network sketch for your reference.

The depth transducer is connected directly to the ST60+ depth instrument, which is networked via ST1 to the other ST60+ displays.

The Alarm lock setting on the depth instrument is OFF.

Is it possible that a setting in the ST60+ Grasphic display could be locking out the depth alarm setting?
Maybe I need to switch off some or all of the Alarms on the ST60+ Graphic display? I’d prefer not to do this as it provides many alarm functions that are not available on the other displays.
Or is there a way to set the depth alarm on the ST60+ Grahic?

Regarding the layout, as you noted, there are two ST1 to STng converters connected to the STng backbone, one for the ST1 bus connection and one for the ST2000+ Autopilot connection.
These are on a single STng network backbone and there is only one ST1 bus connected to it.
So I (and Chuck) thought the network setup was ok - but it would be good to hear your thoughts if there might be potential data loops or other issues.

Regards
Dave

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-21-19, 07:46 AM
RE: [TG11] ST60+ Low Depth Alarm Setting Blocked?
Hi Dave,

Given the Depth Transducer is connected to the ST60+ depth display, the Shallow depth alarm can only be edited through that specific display. Alarm settings in other displays should not affect this at all.

Check the Alarm settings for the Anchor alarm too, this has both shallow and deep alarms too and sometimes this gets confused with the shallow alarm.

Can you change the KEEL/ WATERLINE offset? If not, then is the ST60+ set as MASTER? If it is set as MASTER and you cannot change any of the calibration, is CAL LOCK on? If CAL LOCK is OFF, then the ST60+ depth sounds like it may be faulty?

The Graphic cannot be used to set the alarms - these are only settable in the display which is connected to the transducer.

As far as I can see, the drawing looks good, the only point i would raise is that the SeaTalk1 instruments should not be powered through the converter, the yellow wire connecting the Converter block for STng should be opened up and the red internal wire cut and insulated - the SeaTalk1 should be powered directly themselves and not through the converter block. Powering the converter block from both SeaTalk1 and STng is not advised and so there should be power to the SeaTalk1 system and power to STng.

Thanks
Derek
01-21-19, 02:31 PM
HI Derek,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the ST60+ Depth might be faulty but I’ll re-check all the settings you mentioned and let you know how it goes.

Regarding your comment on powering the ST60+ displays via the ST1/STng converter, this is specifically shown in section 4.8 of the converter manual.
Is it ok, or is there some real advantage to separating the power supplies?

In my system, nothing else is powered from the STng network, so perhaps I only need one power supply to the ST60 instruments and none for the converter/STng network?

Cheers
Dave
01-22-19, 12:44 PM
Hi Dave,

Our general advice from product Support where we talk to many customers worldwide about all sorts of technical issues is always to power the converter from STng and if you have more than a couple of SeaTalk1 units, to power them independently too, cutting the red core as I suggested.

It keeps the installation clean, avoids mixing the systems other than via data and if at some point more equipment is added, then it ensures the networks remain stable and well powered without suffering any voltage drops which can cause all sorts of strange issues.

I hope this helps?
Regards
Derek
01-24-19, 04:50 PM
Hi Derek,
I have now managed to set the low depth alarm, however, when I came in to shallow water, less than the alarm setting, the alarm did not get triggered.
The alarm is set to ON on the Depth instrument and the depth alarm is also switched on on the Graphic Display.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Dave
01-25-19, 10:34 AM
Hi Dave,

The alarm should be sounding on the depth first - since that is the display connected to the transducer, ( or at least it should be!)

Do you know what offset you have programmed? KEEL or W/L? Since this offset will affect the actual water depth the alarm is triggered at.

Also bear in mind that you not only set the actual depth that you want the alarm to trigger at, you also have to turn the alarm ON too, check that the settings you changed were stored through a power cycle in case there is an issue with the instrument remembering the settings you have changed.

Thanks
Derek