Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] axiom track to route conversion ?
01-21-19, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-19 12:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] axiom track to route conversion ?
axiom with latest dec 2018 sw, and navionics maps.

trying to convert a track (1126nm , 2238 points)
into a route (to be able to save it to navionics SD card)

when using axiom function to “convert track to route”
it saves a single route of only 61.88nm with 67 points.
(which happens to be the last 61.88nm of the overall track)

have tried multiple times - same result.

1) it appears this is the only way to export or save a track (created by axiom) to an external source?
the track can be hidden/shown and correctly displays on axiom chart.

2) pls advise if there is some limitation on the track to route conversion?
or is this a bug in sw?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-19, 12:16 PM
RE: [CA11] axiom track to route conversion ?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum serendip,

The only constraint which would typically exist for converting a track to a route would be that the resulting route may not exceed the maximum number of points per route constraint. While the your track is quite long, Raymarine has specified other constraints which one need be concerned with. As far as exporting a track, it is not necessary to convert the track to a route in order to export it. Should you export the track (it will be saved in a GPX file), identify the track of interest, and then attach the GPX file to this thread, then I may be able to attempt to duplicate the problem. If a problem is identified, then a report will be generated accordingly to seek its correction within a future LightHouse 3 software update.

As a workaround, I would recommend that the Chart application be used to display the subject track, that the Create Route feature commanded, that a route be manually created, and started at the beginning of the track. In doing so, each time that a waypoint is created and the cursor is moved away from the waypoint, a route leg line will be drawn. The cursor should be moved to position the route leg line over the track and extended until a turn is required ... at which location another route waypoint would be created. This process would then continue until the end of the track or the maximum number of waypoints constraint is reached. Unlike tracks, routes may be navigated by the MFD, thereby permitting steering commands to be communicated to an autopilot (if any) within the system.
02-02-19, 07:12 PM
chuck thanks for reply

Ive succesfully exported the track to SD card and can then display on external PC - all ok.
(the complete track exports ok)
likewise I can display the track on Axiom - all ok.
..However when i use axiom to "convert track to route".. thats where i get the ~64nm route only.

track has approx 2200 waypoints (as reported by axiom) - so its well under the 10,000 waypoint limit for a route (per axiom manual)

Im attaching the exported .gpx file for your team to attempt a track to route conversion.

as an aside - i originally went down the track to route conversion - because navionics ipad app will NOT sync tracks (only routes and waypoints) ... & I originally was attempting this method to extract the track from axiom to external device.
So ive circumvented this - using the direct export - all good.
.. but still curious why the track doesnt appear to convert correctly to a route on axiom.
02-05-19, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-19 11:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Greg,

Q. However when i use axiom to "convert track to route".. thats where i get the ~64nm route only. track has approx 2200 waypoints (as reported by axiom) - so its well under the 10,000 waypoint limit for a route (per axiom manual).
A. This is an incorrect statement. While the maximum number of points per track is ten thousand, the maximum number of waypoints per route is actually 500. Should you display the track and route simultaneously within the Chart application and then range well in near the route's last point, you will find that the track is not continuous and is actually comprised of three or more segments which are not joined to one another. The created route terminates in the area where the first so these tracks segments ends. If I were to guess, this may be the area of an anchorage where the equipment may have been switched OFF. Each time that the equipment was then switched on again, a new segment of the track appears to have then been initiated.
02-06-19, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-19 11:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
indeed i believe you are correct - yes my MFD switch off at anchorage appears to break the track into segments - even though it still stores & displays it as a single - but actually discontinuous track.

Im not sure if its even possible to select different “segments” of the track
to convert them?
it appears that its only possible to select the (overall) track ... and the axiom then only converts the “last segment” in the track to a route.

thx again for clearing up whats occuring, and helping with instructions on
track gpx export (which was actually the overall goal)
02-07-19, 11:05 AM
You're welcome.