Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV1 -Quantum question
05-03-16, 08:30 AM
EV1 -Quantum question
I'm running an A98 MFD and just added the EV1 this week. I also have an old JRC radar unit that I am going to replace with a new Quantum.
Obviously an autopilot will do what you tell it to. If you program it to go to a waypoint on the back side of the island or behind an oil rig, it will try to drive you right through it.
Will the Quantum (or any integrated radar for that matter) see the obstacle and correct the course to avoid it? I'm assuming it will set off an alarm of some sort at some predetermined distance at a minimum.
Anyone used the Quantum with a WiFi hookup? Results? Comments? The WiFi would make my installation MUCH easier as I already have power up top going to the JRC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-16, 09:27 AM
RE: EV1 -Quantum question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Vettepro,

Q1. Will the Quantum (or any integrated radar for that matter) see the obstacle and correct the course to avoid it?
A1. While Raymarine radar products are not designed to support this level collision avoidance, the auto-routing feature of Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs in conjunction with Navionics+/Navionics Platinum Plus and C-Map 4D cartography will support creation of routes avoiding land obstacles. When radar guard zones are configured within the Radar application, strong radar imaging returns such as those generated by land, rigs, etc. will result in an alarm being sounded by the Raymarine system. Action to avoid radar detected obstacles must be manually undertaken by the vessel operator.
05-04-16, 09:49 AM
Exactly what I needed. Thanks
05-04-16, 12:32 PM
Great! Let us know if you have any future questions.