Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] DG11] masthead repair
01-25-19, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-19 10:37 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DG11] masthead repair
I have a masthead wind machine that I am having problems with. The wind speed is very intermittent. The wind direction works fine. I have checked all wire connections at the mast and the back of the display. The boat was built in 2006. I believe Raymarine has a fixed price for repair of this unit could you please provide this information.
If I decide to replace the unit with a new one can I plug this in to the connector at the top of the mast and securely hold it or do I have to run a new cable down the mast?

Thanks
George
Find all posts by this user
01-25-19, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-19 10:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: DG11] masthead repair
Hi George,

Thank you for your enquiry,

The short arm masthead transducer, ( this is the standard version supplied), has a fixed price repair of $155.00US when returned to the Raymarine’s US Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

It can be tested as follows

The masthead transducer, R28170, has a 5 pin connector on the end and this has been unchanged since the transducer was first launched. The very early ST50/ST50+ transducers used to plug into an aluminium mounting block atop the mast and these mounting blocks did not have a keyway, the later versions and all current mounting blocks for these transducers have a keyway and so you should check which version you have.

Refer to this FAQ here for further details.

The key can be removed from the later style R28170, but you must then be careful when fitting it to ensure the pins line up correctly.

The cable should be replaced if you are in any doubt as to it's age or use, over time the cable may fatigue, some masts provide a cable support internally and some do not, if the cable is unsupported - meaning it's whole weight is suspended from the top, then if the cable is more than 10 years old and the boat has covered a lot of miles, then best to replace the cable.

The new transducer should be compatible with the instruments, but this FAQ found here should also be referred to as well.

Regards
Derek
01-25-19, 03:42 PM
Thanks Derek for the information. Based on what you said I have a current version connector with the key because the boat was built in 2006 and the display was the ST60+. Because the wind speed was intermittent it will be difficult to bench test because it may not fail right away. So is it possible that they just replace the internal electronics for the $155. This way we can be sure that the unit is operational. Yes we still do not know if the connector/cable in the mast is ok. I will review this information with my customer to see what he wants to do. The mast is currently down for the winter so this would be a good time to do the repair. I am only 30 minutes from the repair center in Nashua so I could bring the unit in if this is the direction the customer wants to go.

Thanks
01-28-19, 07:51 AM
Hi George123

Thanks for the feedback.

My suggestion would be to book the masthead unit in for repair, they can undertake the fixed price repair and then knowing the unit then works correctly, you can test it with the mastcable.
Thanks
Derek
01-28-19, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the comments

George
Thread Closed