Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Can an HS5 switch be connected like this?
01-30-19, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-19 11:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Can an HS5 switch be connected like this?
Hi,

I would very much appreciate if you could have a look at the attached diagram and
let me know if it will work.

One question... will i60 work even if Axiom 9 is not connected or should there be a
terminating plug in its place in such a case?

Thanks/Ingvar

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-19, 11:23 AM
RE: [CA11] Can an HS5 switch be connected like this?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ingvar,

Q. I would very much appreciate if you could have a look at the attached diagram and
let me know if it will work.
A. Negative. Only products which feature an Ethernet communications interface may be interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Accordingly, the iTC-5, i70, and i60 would not be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. In the case of the equipment shown, each MFD and the Quantum Radar Cable (or Digital Radar Cable (recommended) would be in interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be constructed and will include the iTC-5 as as a backbone component. The backbone will include a sufficient number of spur sockets to accommodate a SeaTalkng Power Cable, the i60 instrument, i70 instrument, and the MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD to each be interfaced as an individual spur.
01-31-19, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-19 08:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
many thanks for the good reply (and fast)!
I think I get it now. Please see attached revised diagram.

One question...should the GPS in the Axiom 9 be disabled or can it be used in parallell with the Pro9S GPS? The outdoor MFD probably have better reception.
If both can't be used at same time, is it possible to disable the indoor GPS and use the outdoor Axiom 9 as source?

My compliments for a fantastic customer support!

Brgds
Ingvar

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-31-19, 08:48 AM
Ingvar,

Q1. Please see attached revised diagram.
A1. Your latest system diagram appears to be correct with one minor omission. The diagram should also include a 12VDC power cable connection to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Q2. Should the GPS in the Axiom 9 be disabled or can it be used in parallell with the Pro9S GPS?
A2. Only one source of GPS data should be used to supply data to the system. This may be accomplished by using the Data Sources feature to select the GPS data source to be used by the system. Alternatively, the alternate GPS data source may be switched OFF via the MFD's Internal GPS configuration settings.

Q3. Is it possible to disable the indoor GPS and use the outdoor Axiom 9 as source?
A3. Yes. See the response to Q2.
02-01-19, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-19 08:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, the power cable is there but never mind, my drawing skills are not the best :-)

Just a few more questions:

1) Is it possible to connect two Raynet cables together with a special connector?

2) Do the MFD's have to be daisy chained or can they connect to the switch by separate cables?

3) Is there any difference between Raynet and Unet cables?

Thanks/Ingvar
02-01-19, 08:55 AM
Ingvar,

Q1) Is it possible to connect two Raynet cables together with a special connector?
A1) Yes. Raymarine offers the A80162 RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner for this purpose.

Q2) Do the MFD's have to be daisy chained or can they connect to the switch by separate cables?
A2) The choice is yours. As a best installation practice to support maximum flexibility, it is recommended that the MFDs not be daisy chained.

Q3) Is there any difference between Raynet and Unet cables?
A3) RayNet Cables feature shielding, and are terminated with RayNet plugs to better protect connections from the marine environment. Field installable RayNet plugs are not offered by Raymarine.