Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Raymic and Ray55
02-05-19, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-19 04:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Raymic and Ray55
I just connected a new Raymic to a newer Ray55. The only sound I get out the Raymic is an occasional crackle or pop. The Ray 55 sounds good. The system test says Raymic OK. The Raymic buttons and display all seem to work fine. The raymic volume control does change the volume of the crackle and pop. I checked to see if I had the right part number Raymic. I checked all the connector pins on both ends and they look good. The only problem clue I found was the connector plug threaded backshell/clamp on the Ray55 end refuses to thread onto the jack side. The connection seems to be aligned and fully engaged.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-19, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-19 05:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Raymic and Ray55
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JT101,

Please note that the Ray55 has not been in production for some time now. Please additionally note that Raymarine produced two versions of the Raymic. The second version of the Raymic (pictured below) is designed for use with the Ray60 and Ray70.

[Image: RayMic-in-hand.jpg?n=4275]

The first version (pictured below) was designed for use with the Ray55 and Ray218 VHF radios.

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9lj8OSJmSLRXKMEPKG...p;usqp=CAc]

If your Raymic looks like the first version shown above, please indicate which version of software is installed in the Ray55? Please additionally indicate which version of software is installed within your Raymic?
02-06-19, 05:33 PM
Thanks,
I do have the first version of Raymic (A46051) and that matches what the Ray55 Manual says to use. The boat was built in 2016 and the radio installed at that time by Tartan. So likely the radio is a 2015 or 2016 model.
The SW version is 2.01B and the HW is 1.00 - note that this was the same when accessed and viewed form either the Ray55 or Raymic. If the two devices could have different versions, I was not able to find a way to access that.
02-11-19, 10:00 AM
JT101,

The RayMic was not intended to be interfaced directly to the Ray55, but to a bulkhead jack designed for use with the RayMic. Are you having difficulty connecting the bulkhead jack's cable to the Ray55?
02-13-19, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 04:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am using the Raymic A46051 kit which included the cable with the bulkhead mount at one end and a connector for the Ray 55 base at the other end. The connection of the mic to the bulkhead jack looks good. The connection of the of the cable to the Ray 55 base pigtail looks good except the threads on the shells do not seem to match. The R55 still works and all the controls on the mic work good. The screen on the mic looks good and responds correctly. The only thing that does not appear to work is the sound coming from the mic. From my old, old days as a Navy ET, I would guess the speaker in the mic is bad, one wire in the cable got knicked, or one connector pin is bad.
02-14-19, 10:40 AM
JT101,

Given that you have all of the required items (RayMic, cable, and Ray55), the reported issue may be rooted in any one of these items. It would be recommended that you first unplug the cable from the Ray55 and inspect its plug for bent or broken pins. If any pins are found to be bent/broken, then the Ray55 should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. If sending in the Ray55, it is recommended that the RayMic accompany the Ray55 to permit them to be tested together. If no pins are found to be bent/broken, then the RayMic should be sent to aymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.