Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Interfacing older S2 Autopilot computer to new SeaTalkNG Network
02-05-19, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-19 03:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Interfacing older S2 Autopilot computer to new SeaTalkNG Network
Morning all,

I am beginning to plan out the network for a suite of new electronics on a 40ft sailing sloop.

Every piece of equipment with the exception of the older autopilot will be replaced.
I am planning to have the axiom pro 9 MFD at the heart, fully networked with a proper SeaTalkNG network to all other devices.

The current Autopilot course computer is the S2. The current control head being used with it is the ST6000.

Can I plug the S2 course computer into the new SeaTalkNG network (on a 5 way connector) via the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter kit with the yellow plug, and be able to use the P70s to control the autopilot?

Or should I use the d244 and A22164 route to connect directly to the P70s?

In addition, once the new autopilot control head is installed, do I need to then recalibrate the autopilot?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-19, 04:16 PM
RE: [CA11] Interfacing older S2 Autopilot computer to new SeaTalkNG Network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tralavoi,

Indeed it is possible to use a S2 autopilot course computer to an Axiom MFD and to a p70S autopilot control head. As the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G autopilot course computers feature two SeaTalk ports, a best installation practice is to connect one of these SeaTalk ports to the system's autopilot control head(s) only. The other SeaTalk port of the autopilot course computer should be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus to which any other of the system's devices having a SeaTalk communications interface (ST40/ST60 instruments, legacy MFDs, legacy GPS censors, etc.) will also be interfaced. In this case, the autopilot course computer's second SeaTalk port will be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The red lead of the SeaTalk cable linking the autopilot course computer to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will not be connected to the autopilot course computer. Instead, this lead will simply be insulated to prevent shorting.

When using a p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head with a S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G autopilot course computer, the p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head must be interfaced directly to one of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports. As recommended above, it would be recommended that the p70S autopilot control head be interfaced to the same SeaTalk bus as will any of the system's other autopilot control head(s). An A06047 (0.4m) or A06073 (1m) SeaTalkng Spur to SeaTalk Adapter Cable may be used for this purpose. Should one not desire to cut this adapter cable, then it may be plugged into a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block, which will then be connected the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port via a SeaTalk cable having a press-fit 3-pin plug on one end and bare leads on the cables other end (or simply lop one of the plugs from a SeaTalk cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply