Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Auto Pilot pump location
02-11-19, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-19 12:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Auto Pilot pump location
I have a 27 Boston Whaler with twin Mercury Verado's. I want to install the EV-200 and know that the A18127 hose kit is recommended. Given the extreme close quarters under the helm of the BW, the pump and other components will need to be mounted a greater distance than the kit would allow. Two questions: 1. Is there any issue with locating the pump further away (Max 8 feet), from the helm. 2. Can you tell me the hose specs so I can get custom hoses made up (hose ID/OD, thread size and type, Hose pressure spec)? Thank you!! Dan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-19, 02:57 PM
RE: [CA11] Auto Pilot pump location
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ThreeAces,

Q1. Is there any issue with locating the pump further away (Max 8 feet), from the helm.
A1. Yes. There is a note within the installation instructions stating "pump may be placed elsewhere if Mercury extension hoses are used

Q2. Can you tell me the hose specs so I can get custom hoses made up (hose ID/OD, thread size and type, Hose pressure spec)?
A2. Per the response to Q1, these are standard Mercury extension hydraulic hoses for Verado engine systems.
02-19-19, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 09:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thank you for your response! After contacting the boat manufacturer and your response above I have identified where to locate the pump along with the Ev-1 (under deck near the motors). This means the SeaTlkng cable and power cable will need to run from the center console back to the pump and EV-1. Since one is power and one is communications, how much distance do I need to provide between those two cables to ensure no noise transfer? The boat manufacturer provided a 2" diameter tube as a thread through cable run. It would be easiest to allow these two cables to run in that tube side-by-side, but I have my doubts. Thank you!
02-19-19, 02:00 PM
ThreeAces,

Regarding the other question which you had posted, the prior recommendation for a Type 1 pump within the FAQ found here had been based upon Verado rams which were up to 14 cu. in. and which had been plumbed in series. Should the cubic capacity of your Verado steering rams exceed this capacity and/or not be plumbed in parallel, then the recommendations specified within the previously referenced FAQ would apply ... i.e. specification of an autopilot for a vessel equipped with Verado engines is no different from that of any other hydraulically steered vessel except in that the installation requires a Verado Hydraulic Hose Kit. Should you have purchased the incorrect Evolution autopilot for your application, it is recommended that it be returned and replaced with the appropriate Evolution autopilot for your vessel's hydraulic steering system.

Q1. How much distance do I need to provide between those two cables to ensure no noise transfer?
A1. Raymarine has not specified a minimum difference to separate motor conductors from communications cables. It is simply recommended that they not be bundled together. While we receive few complaints of communications issues resulting from drive unit motor leads being installed in close proximity to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 cables, it would be considered to be a best practice to separate communications cables from power cables. When locating the EV-1 CCU, be certain to locate it at least 3' from electrical motors, speakers, engines, devices which have been constructed from ferrous materials, high current carrying conductors, or other objects capable of producing a magnetic field.