Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9 RV Sounder issues
02-14-19, 09:42 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 Sounder issues
I believe i'll just wait for the update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-19, 10:07 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 RV Sounder issues
I am still trying to figure out why i am having issues after i do an update. Here's a question for you. The instructions say to unzip the downloaded update and put the contents on the root of the mSD card. When i unzip the update, there are multiple files shown including another zipped folder named: Ray5x_6x_7x_v2.16boot.zip Am i required to unzip this folder and load it to the root of the mSD card? I did not do this on the 2 previous updates.
02-15-19, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-19 10:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ktcarter,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Per this FAQ, I simply recommend using the "Extract Al"l right mouse click option rather than opening the compressed folder. There is no need for any additional interaction with the internal contents of this compressed folder unless one will be updating the software within a Ray5x, 6x, or 7x VHF radio. See the Note at the beginning of the referenced FAQ addressing interim software updates which may have been missed.
02-25-19, 04:04 PM
ktcarter,

Our engineering team was unsuccessful in duplicating the problem shown within your videos. Their feedback follows ... see the requested additional information:

From the information available, I have not been able to recreate this issue onboard Raymariner.
My Setup:
Axiom 9 RV with TH split 12 degree bronze 'ducers. Bench 5 ... note that this differs from ktcarter in that his system utilized an RV-100 transducer.
NO STNG connection
S/W at 3.8.97
Internal GPS on, but no GPS Fix
Factory Reset unit after downgrade to 3.8.97
English (US)
Fishing (fresh water)
Boat details left to default
Navionics card in uSD card slot at the back
Split Chart/Sonar app
Surface filter set to 0 manual
Interference Rejection to high
2nd Echo interference Rejection set to high
Range set to auto
Depth source auto
Bottom fill on
In this configuration there was no bottom loss. Even when aeration was significant.
To further diagnose this issue we would need to find out things like what his source of depth was, what his surface filter settings were, whether there were any other MFD's in the system etc.
03-05-19, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-19 10:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Raymarine vs. customer config follows:

The issue would occur in chart/sonar mode or sonar only mode. All other settings were on auto. There are no other MFD's in my set up. My system does have a RS150 GPS antenna which has been selected as the system's GPS data source.

Raymariner: Axiom 9 RV with TH split 12 degree bronze 'ducers. Bench 5; Cust: system utilized an RV-100 transducer.
Raymariner: NO STNG connection; Cust: STng with only RS 150 connected
Raymariner: S/W at 3.8.97; Cust: Same
Raymariner: Internal GPS on, but no GPS Fix; Cust: External RS 150 connected, GPS FIX
Raymariner: Factory Reset unit after downgrade to 3.8.97; Cust: Same
Raymariner: English (US); Cust: Same
Raymariner: Fishing (fresh water); Cust: Same
Raymariner: Boat details left to default; Cust: changed these to suit his boat
Raymariner: Navionics card in uSD card slot at the back; Cust: Same
Raymariner: Split Chart/Sonar app; Cust: Same
Raymariner: Surface filter set to 0 manual; Cust: Auto
Raymariner: Interference Rejection to high; Cust: Auto
Raymariner: 2nd Echo interference Rejection set to high: Cust: Low
Raymariner: Range set to auto; Cust: Same
Raymariner: Depth source auto; Cust: Same
Raymariner: Bottom fill on; Cust: Off
Raymariner: No other MFD's or transducers connected; Cust: Same
03-06-19, 10:38 AM
ktcarter,

Thanks for confirming the fishfinder settings onboard your own boat. These settings have been added to the problem report which had been previously submitted to have engineering investigate this issue further.
03-31-19, 12:26 PM
Since the unit started acting up, i have not attempted to use the side scan feature. Out of curiosity i did so this morning. I have attached a video of how it acted. I was in around 20-30 feet of water going less than idle speed trying to look under some docks in my cove. All settings were automatic.

https://youtu.be/aaSQJAOWyRY
04-01-19, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-19 03:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ktcarter,

I never use the auto ranging feature with SideVision. Please try setting the range manually, being certain to leave sufficient bottom imaging to each side. Please post the resulting video of the same area again after doing so.
04-03-19, 02:01 PM
Did as you suggested (set range at 30') and it made a significant difference in the jumping around, however, I still think it is acting a little strange. I have attached 3 video's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcNEIR9ZpA

Shows just leaving the dock. It takes a while to find its depth and really doesn't start scrolling good until the depth is shown. Then it loses the depth again and slows down to a stop and resumes once the depth is recovered. This is at or below idle speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugv8d8CizJs

This video shows me passing a dock to my right. You can clearly see the dock flotation and boat lift floats. What is strange here is the left side of the screen appears to show a mirror image of the right side of the screen when the left side should show clear water (there is nothing in the water to the left side of the boat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3hbcQXsM-k

Once again it loses the depth and stops scrolling until the depth is recovered. It appears to have the same mirror image on the left side.
04-09-19, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-19 12:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ktcarter,

Like transducer beam for DownVision the transducer beam for SideVision has a very small fore-aft component. The mirroring of the SideVision imaging may be indicative of transducer signal being reflected off of a hard surface (ex. outdrive, lower unit, or hull structure). I see similar mirroring when my lower unit is lowered into the beam of my boat's SideVision transducer. Accordingly, searching for bottom structures, I will raise my drive unit until the mirroring disappears. The imaging otherwise appears normal except for the stoppage shown within the last video. I would not have expected the system to stop plotting SideVision because the system lost bottom depth. Is it possible that you have configured Sonar or DownVision for a manually set range rather than auto range?