Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
02-14-19, 02:20 PM
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
Q1. I have attached a diagram I created for this years project. Could you please look this over and let me know if it is correct?
A1. The diagram implies that the AIS700 is designed to function as a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridge or that the AIS700 will produce 4800 BAUD NMEA GPS sentences based upon position determined by its own internal GPS receiver. Neither of these implications would be correct. If seeking to interface the ICOM VHF radio to the system to receive GPS data, then it would be recommended that an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit be included with the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

The diagram should be annotated to specify that the red lead of the SeaTalk cable linking the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng to the S2 autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port should not be connected to the red SeaTalk terminal of the S2. Instead, this lead will be insulated to prevent shorting. The S2's other SeaTalk port should be used to to interface the ST60 instruments and ST6001 for the time being. When the ST6001 is later replaced with a p70S, the p70S must be directly connected to the S2's SeaTalk port rather than as a spur to the backbone.

Q2. What do I need to connect the S2 course computer to the new network. I think I need the 254238 conversion kit, but am not sure about wires. The course computer lives in a stern locker about 10-15' away from the nav pod helm station where all of the new networking will be. I would like to be able to just plug in the new control head next year. Basically I am looking to be able to follow tracks and waypoints on the Axiom and have it work with the S2.
A2. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit is approximately 1m in length. Given the distance from the S2 autopilot course computer, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable should be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block which will then be connected to an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end. This SeaTalk Cable will then be led to the S2, where it's plug will be removed, permitting cable's data (yellow) and ground (shield) leads to be connected to the S2's SeaTalk terminals. See the comment above addressing the red lead of this cable.

Q3. My plan is to configure the Axiom 7 as the Data Master thus it is connected to the backbone. I would like to configure the Axiom 9 as the GPS Master since it is above deck. Is this a correct setup? Should the 9 also be connected to the backbone (could be connected to an open slot on the 254238 converter)? If not what is done with the cable?
A3. SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications will exclusively be conducted by the system's Data Master MFD. Some will interface a second MFD to the backbone to support operating only one of the system's MFDs at any time. The latter installation option also provides a level of redundancy in the resulting system.

Q3. The 16' length of backbone I am not sure if it is long enough. Can I attach any length of backbone cable with a A06030 backbone extender?
A3. Yes.

Q4. My plan is to use a BlueSeas ST Blade 6 Circuit with Negative Bus Fuse Block to connect the following: Old ST60+, ST60, and ST6001 - what amp fuse?
A4a. 5A

Q4b. Backbone - 5 amp fuse?
A4b. Correct

Q5. What is the best gauge wire to extend the Axiom's and the AIS if needed, I know 2 wire, but what gauge?
A5. Please click here to view a West Marine article addressing this subject.

Q6. Where is the best place to ground the grey wire that comes off the Axioms?
A6. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing drain leads.

Q7. I have seen some boats have their AIS on all the time, even when sitting at anchor or dock...the way I have this setup the instruments would need to be powered on all the time for this to happen...is there a better practice way to wire power to the AIS so it is on all the time? Should it be on all the time?
A7. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q8. Lastly, along with this plan, later on down the road I plan to install radar to this system. I know I will need to add a HS5 to expand the networking but just making sure I am setting up my system to be able to expand to that down the road.
A8. Other than setting up power circuits to support operation of the equipment in the desired manner, you're on the right track. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing considerations for binnacle / pod mounted products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-14-19 02:20 PM