Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
02-15-19, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-19 12:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer
Scott,

Q1. I removed the VHF from the diagram as I only had it on there to show that the AIS would pass the VHF antennae to it, not planning on connecting it to share GPS coordinates at least at this time.
A1. Today's VHF radios, as well as most produced over the last 15 years+ have supported DSC features to include automatically transmitting the vessel's coordinates when a distress call is initiated. Should the VHF radio support DSC features, then it would be strongly recommended that the VHF radio be interfaced to the system as a safety feature for the vessel. If not, then it would be strongly recommended that new VHF be in the vessel's electronics wish list. This safety feature is so strongly believed that future VHF radios will be mandated by international regulations to include a built-in GPS sensor to support sending the vessel's coordinates with distress calls.

Q2a. I updated the diagram and noted the red wire not being connected. What is the best way to insulate it?
A2a. Common electrical insulating material may be used for such purposes (ex. liquid electrical tape, electrical tape, shrink tubing, etc.)

Q2b. I assume I just keep the Seatalk1 instruments ran exactly how they are?
A2b. I don't know how they are presently installed, but suspect that they have been daisy chained together and have been interfaced to one of the S2 course computer's SeaTalk ports. If so, no need to change anything.

Q2c. How would I connect the p70s to the S2's SeaTalk port and how will the p70s get its power, from the S2 Seattle port?
A2c. Until the ST60 instruments are replace, the p70S may simply be daisy chained to the ST60 instruments. Raymarine offers the A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalk Spur Socket to SeaTalk (press-fit 3-pin plug) Adapter and the A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalk Spur Socket to SeaTalk (press-fit 3-pin plug) Adapter to support this end.

Q3a. Updated diagram. Should the unused port on the D244 be plugged in any way with a blanking plug or just left alone?
A3a. The D244 features a tethered blanking plug to fill an unused socket

Q3b. Also how is the converter kit mounted inside the nav pod? Screws? If so to what? Double sided tape?
A3b. The ST-STng Converter is designed to be secured to its mounting surface with screws. If the pod's shell is too thin to accommodate doing so, then a mounting block may be fabricated and epoxied to the inside of the pod to accommodate securing the ST-STng Converter.

Q4a. Updated diagram. I would like to have the redundancy if needed, but my question is, with the diagram as it is now, will I still be able to use both MFD's at the same time?
A4a. There was never an issue with simultaneous operation of the MFDs. The latest diagram will support both simultaneous operation of the MFDs as well as individual operation of the MFDs.

Q4b. I would still dedicate one as the master data and the other as the master gps. Is this correct?
A4b. Whenever more than one MFD is operating within an Ethernet network of MFDs, one of the MFDs must be designated as the system's Data Master MFD. This MFD need not necessarily be the one which is providing GPS data to the system.

Q5a. I also added a second page to the diagram illustrating electrical connections, does this look good? I would like to combine everything except AIS to a single switch, thus using the blade fuses. I plan to use the gauges shown in marine grade duplex wire. Is this correct?
Q5a. The diagram appears to be technically correct. While this is not how I would typically recommend doing so (see previously referenced FAQ), designing the system's circuits should be based upon how the equipment will be operated ... which in the end, a personal choice. Given the nature of some of the questions asked, you may want consider getting yourself a good book on boat electrical systems (ex. Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual - Calder, etc.).

Q6. Regarding the drain leads....I am not sure if my boat has a bonding cable. If it does not, how does one connect these leads to the Yanmar engine block?
A6. Typically, the engine block will feature a stud or bolt to which grounds, and in this case drain leads, be attached.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Configure New Network and Incorporate S2 Course Computer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-15-19 12:39 PM